Chapter 15

"Harry?" I ask breaking the silence.

"Yeah?" he says. He won't look me in the eyes.

"Were all those things true?"

I can see him gulp. He shifts his weight on his feet and then looks up at the ceiling as if something interesting was up there.

"I-" he begins but doesn't finish. "I just..." He runs his hand through his hair before letting it trail down his neck.

I look at him with pleading eyes. I don't know why my heart is telling me to have such strong attractions towards him when I know in the end, it will only turn fowl. But sometimes the mind and the heart have two different opinions and they're both too stubborn to see the other's side.

My heart starts to crumble with each second that ticks by with him staring at the ceiling and playing with the collar of his shirt.

"I get it," I say so quietly it's barely audible. "You don't need to explain."

I suck on my lips forcing the tears to stay hidden but I know Harry can see the glossy look in my eyes. I try to blink them back but the more I blink, the more they become apparent. I turn my back on him and wipe them from my eyes. He remains quiet the whole time. Not once does he take a step closer to me. Not once does he try to comfort me. Not once does he ever try and make things right. It's the first time that he's shown a mercilessness side to him.

My stomach feels like it's being caved out and the only thing left is a hollow emptiness. I cover my mouth with my hand and squeeze my eyes shut to forget about the pain that he's inflicted upon me without trying. I take in a deep breath and try to calm my breathing and I would've held my own had he not lightly set his hand on my shoulder.

He spins me around to face him but I can't meet his eyes. I look at my feet waiting for him to say something. But he never does.

He gently rubs his thumb over my tears in a way that should make my heart soar with affection. But instead, all I want to do is crawl inside my body and cower into my own skin. It hurts to feel unwanted by someone you care about most.

I pull my lips together and force myself not to cry out in pain when he puts pressure on the cheek that A.J. slapped not too long ago. I silently pray Harry didn't notice.

He stops for a moment and I can see him trying to make me look up into his eyes. I pretend I don't notice. He touches the same spot and my forehead scrunches in agony.

He licks his thumb and brings it to my cheek to try and clean the makeup off my face.

I shake my head and take a step away from him while hiding my face. My cheek throbs with just the minimal amount of pressure he placed on my bruise and I have to dig my nails into the palm of my hand to hold back any more tears that may escape. Harry grabs hold of my wrist and tugs me back in front of him. He tries to wipe away the makeup again but I quickly turn my cheek away.

"Hold still," he says while gripping my chin in his hand forcing me to stay in front of him without turning my head away. I wince as he puts pressure on the bruised skin. He looks at me with worry traced in his eyes. "Who did this to you?"

I shrug my shoulders afraid to say anything.

"Jackie," he says in a stern tone.

"I don't know," I whisper.

"Don't lie to me," he demands.

I take a step back from him but he takes a step closer. I turn around and cover my cheek with my hair. I can feel the tears begin to crawl out from my eyes.