Chapter 43

I stare at the boy’s royal blue eyes that begin to gloss over with new sprung tears.  They trail down his cheek, leaving lines of shiny skin against his pale complexion.  “Where is he?” he whispers, wiping away the tears with the back of his hand.  His voice quivers with uncertainty as he keeps his eyes averted downward to avoid my gaze.

“He’s safe,” I say quietly, keeping my voice even as I take in all the watery, blue eyes and sad frowns around me.

Harry clears his throat beside me, gently nudging me with his leg.  “I’m a bit confused,” he murmurs sheepishly.  “Do you guys know each other?”

I shake my head, allowing my eyes to wander down the rows of kids.  The eldest girl straightens up as she takes in a deep breath.  “We’re Nolan’s siblings.”  She gestures with her hand to each person sitting on the bed.  “That’s Tyler, Carlie, Devon, and Austin.  I’m Miranda.”

The room falls silent as Harry and I revel in the new information.  He nods his head solemnly before taking Miranda’s hand, rubbing his thumb over the back of it, trying to comfort her silent sobs.

“We’re going to save him tomorrow,” Harry adds.  “I promise, he’ll be okay.  Everything will be okay.”

Miranda wraps her arms around Harry and I, whispering small ‘thank you’s into our hair.

---

I slept well for the first time in a long time.  Thoughts of A.J. slipped my mind, leaving my dreams in peace for once.  And, might I add, there was someone in particular who kept me snuggled to their chest the whole night.  His soft breathing cascaded down my arms, lulling me to sleep as we lied in bed together.

It seems like that’s all I ever want to do now--be with Harry.

I’m lying in bed, gazing at him as he bites his bottom lip, trying to find an easy route to some of the slaves’ houses.  His eyes flicker between the paper with the addresses and his phone, occasionally letting a strained, frustrated sigh when he can’t find the right house.  He mumbles something under his breath as his hand grips the phone tighter.

“At ease, Harry,” I tease him.

He jumps a little before turning around to face me, his frown slowly turning into a small grin.

“I didn’t know you were up,” he says, sitting beside me on the bed.  He stares into my eyes as his hands fumble with the sheets.

“I’ve been up for awhile now.”

I sit up in bed, crossing my legs as I wait for him to talk.  His knee bounces up and down before he stops it and concentrates on me.

“Jackie, can we talk about what happened before Nolan’s siblings arrived here yesterday?”

I quirk an eyebrow, wondering what he’s talking about.  My mind starts to replay everything that happened yesterday.

“I want to talk about us,” he adds when he sees my confusion.

Little butterflies dance in my stomach at just the simple word.  Us.

Harry gazes into my eyes as he wets his lips.  “You know, ever since I introduced you to the guys, they haven’t stopped harassing me on how much I like you.  Every single one of them.  Niall, Zayn, Louis, Liam, Jonah...even Alice.  They all tease me how I have no guts, always dancing around my feelings.”  He pauses as his fingers clutch around something in his pockets.  “I’ve realized they’re right.”