Chapter 38

I wish I could wake up like a girl from one of those romantic movies.

Instead, I wake up to a full bladder and I’m crossing and uncrossing my legs like crazy, just praying that nothing embarrassing happens to me.  I would get up from the truck and do my business and all, but there’s an arm slung around my stomach, at the moment, and it’s attached to a really cute boy who happens to be lying next to me and I can’t possibly pass up this wonderful opportunity.

Even if my bladder is screaming at me.

I cast my eyes upwards to study Harry’s face.  I’m cautious this time as to not to touch his cheeks like I did the last time where he caught me in the act.  His lips are parted now, allowing air to blow in and out of his mouth rhythmically.  It fans across my face, but I don’t mind.  In fact, I don’t think there’s anything about him that would bother me.  When I’m lying next to him, there isn’t one bad thing that I can think of.  I could definitely get used to waking up beside him every morning.

I run my tongue over my dry lips, instantly scrunching my nose up.

And now, lying here, tasting my own spit, I can officially say that there is indeed something bad about waking up beside Harry--it’s my horrendous morning breath.

I roll over on my back, staring up at the grey sky, thinking about things that could help this situation.  My hands absentmindedly dig in my pockets, searching for some gum or anything to put in my mouth to rid myself of the bad smell.  No such luck.

A soft echo runs through the silence, breaking me out of my concentration.  My body freezes in Harry’s arms as I strain my ears, trying to figure out what the noise could be.  The sound get closer and closer, making me shrink into Harry’s arms.  It sounds like a propellor, but when I look up into the sky, all I can see are the dark clouds that threaten to rain soon.

Harry’s starting to stir in his sleep now, tugging me closer to his chest.

“What is that?” he asks groggily, opening his eyes and staring up at the sky.

My stomach flutters at his morning voice.  It’s even lower than usual.  It’s making my skin prickle with goose bumps.

And that’s definitely not what I should be focusing on at this moment.

He tightens his grip around my torso, pulling me closer in a protective grip.  “We need to go,” he says quickly, still staring up at the sky.

His eyes are flying all around, trying to locate the possible helicopter above us.  He swallows thickly, his breathing becoming shallower as the noise gets incredibly loud.  It sounds like it’s hovering right above us as the corn starts to sway violently from side to side.  My short hair whips around my face and I cover my ears from the deafening chopping sound.

Harry pulls the blanket over our heads, forcing a smile at me, but I can tell it’s not authentic.  I can see the worry behind his eyes.  He’s as scared as I am right now.  His lips are moving, trying to tell me something but all I can hear is the roar of the propellers.  I bury my face into his chest as he rubs his hands up and down my back hurriedly.

I hold Harry closer in my arms, probably squeezing him way too tight out of fear, but I can’t stop myself from finding comfort in his touch.  My thoughts immediately wander to all the bad things that could possibly be linked to the helicopter--A.J., Trent, Cain, or anyone associated with Eastside Academy. They could send someone down and split Harry and I apart easily.  Then what?  Would they send me back to Detention Barn?  Would I have to live with A.J.?  Would they hurt Harry?  Would we be killed?