Chapter 28

“Can we stay out here a little longer?” I ask Harry as he starts to walk back towards the house.

He turns around and looks at me with a neutral expression.  Sweat is running down his face and it stains his t-shirt that clings to his toned body—not like I’m looking at it or anything.

I’m not ready to go back inside.  I’ve been locked up in the house for more than a week and the fresh air on my skin feels too good to leave.

“I have to get some work done,” Harry says.

He scratches the back of his neck.  I nod my head and start walking towards the house again before he rests his hands on my shoulders, preventing me from walking any farther.  He lets out a long sigh before turning his attention back to me.

“You really like it out here, don’t you, Jackie.”

I nod my head.  “I do.”

He looks at me, expressionless, but I can tell there are a million thoughts running behind his cool façade.

“Promise you won’t run away?”

I raise my eyebrows.  “You’re letting me stay out here by myself?”

He smiles at me, showing off his dimples.  “Only if you promise.”

“I promise.”

He nods his head, still looking at me.  It’s as if he’s debating about something.

“Thank you,” I say with a smile and he returns a genuine one that meets his eyes.

He takes a step forward to me, lifting his arms up as if giving me a hug, and I can feel my heart whack against my chest in anticipation.  His eyes widen before he quickly drops them by his side and clears his throat.

“I’ll be…inside,” he says awkwardly, running his hand through his hair.  His gaze falls to my feet and I know it’s silly but I can’t help but feel disappointed.

“Okay,” I say as I watch him walk back into the house.

I lie down in the grass, arms folded behind my head to act as a pillow, and stare up at the endless sky.  There’s not a cloud in sight that marks up the infinite blue stretched out before me.  It soothes me and puts all the jittery nerves to rest.  I feel at ease, for once.

The birds are chirping and singing lullaby songs while the corn sways back and forth in the breeze.  Everything is so pleasant and beautiful out here—it takes away the ruthless presence that comes with the Eastside gang and the imperious atmosphere that looms over the house.

I close my eyes, feeling the sun shimmer over my skin and the grass, prickling my arms.  I feel like I’m floating.  I could get use to this feeling—the feeling of being weightless in a world dominated by gravity.

---

I was in a deep slumber before my eyes flutter open, adjusting themselves to the bright light the sun has to offer.  The faintest of smiles dance across my face as the baby blue sky mixes with the gold and emerald colors from the cornfield.  The air smells crisp and the sunshine kisses my skin.

“You’re lucky, you know that?” A voice says from behind me.

I bolt upright, my heart frozen with fear from the unfamiliar and startling voice that’s talking to me.  My eyes scan the area before I see her.  The voice belongs to a girl, no older than me.  She stands in the cornfield, holding a basket as she collects the husks.  A big hat with a green bow casts harsh shadows on her face.  Long, silky, black hair flows down her back and little slits barely allow her to see.