Chapter 11

When I wake up the next morning, I immediately go to the bathroom and brush my teeth.  My appearance in the mirror makes me cringe and I can’t help myself from staring at my reflection.  My brown hair is a frizzy mess that puffs out in all directions.  It looks as though my head is being eaten by a monster.  I try to comb through it all but it only makes it worse and now it not only sticks out everywhere but it also is very static-y and refuses to be tamed.

I shake my head before pulling it into a braid and calling it a day.

I study my face in the mirror and notice red splotches on my cheeks.  I only get it when I’m under a lot of stress.  This hasn’t happened to me since I was sixteen and I thought it went away completely.  I guess it wasn’t just a phase as I originally thought it was.

I dig through my makeup bag in search of my concealer.  It helps a little but nothing can cover up the big bags underneath my eyes.  I finish putting on my makeup and get changed into comfortable clothes.  I glance at the window before leaving the bathroom--there's now a lock on it, preventing me from escaping.

“Good afternoon, Jackie," Harry says as I walk into the kitchen.

Afternoon?  Did I really sleep in that late?

“What time is it?" I ask.

I take a seat across from him and he smirks.  “It’s 2.  Did you just wake up?”

“Why didn’t you wake me up earlier?”

“I thought you might want your rest after all these crazy events that are taking place in your life at the moment.”

I nod my head and offer him a small smile.  He returns one before I lower my gaze to my hands , sitting on the table.  An uncomfortable silence lingers in the air as Harry picks at his nails and I try my best not to make eye contact with him.  Both of us seem to be at a loss of words.  The only noise comes from outside where birds are chirping a tune of their own.

On one hand, I'm grateful that Harry doesn't want to talk.  I'm not in the mood for making conversation with him.  I know if we were to talk it would be related to Eastside somehow and my mind is overwhelmed with all those thoughts.  It drowns me in negativity all night and the little time that I'm not thinking about it, is like a breath of fresh air--the air that I need to live off of.

“Jackie, are you wearing makeup?” Harry asks, finally breaking the silence.

I keep my focus aimed downward, suddenly embarrassed that he caught me with it on.  "Um, a little," I mumble. 

“Why?”

I shrug my shoulders.

“You don’t need it," he adds.

I bite on my bottom lip, trying to hide an awkward smile that wants to spread across my face.  I’m not sure if that was supposed to be a compliment or just a statement, but either way I’m flustered and embarrassed.   He's watching my reactions--I know it--and my reaction is what's making me feel so on edge.  His simple words make me feel giddy and I don't want him to know that he can do that to me.

I shift uncomfortably in my seat and clear my throat   “What are we doing today?” I whisper without raising my gaze to meet his eyes.

“We’re gonna stay here.  We can’t go out and do anything; I’m sorry.”

I nod my head as to tell him that I understand.  I assumed we wouldn't be able to leave the house anyways.  It's probably one of A.J.'s rules.

“We could have a movie marathon?” he suggests.