Chapter 26

There’s a small circle gathered around in Harry’s family room.  Everyone talks amongst themselves while Harry’s in the kitchen, organizing some food to feed everyone.  I sit alone in the corner, just watching the gang.  It’s hard not to observe them.  It’s a nervous habit of mine—just watching people and waiting to see what they do.

Every so often, the circle of men look over at me all at the same time.  They don’t say anything—eyes just flickering at me before they all turn back around in their chairs to continue their conversation.

I always find myself sitting up straighter whenever they look at me.  It makes me feel so isolated—just sitting outside of their giant circle, all by myself, casually watching them to see what they do.

I don’t like this feeling of alienation.  It’s almost as if the gang thinks there’s a one way mirror and only they can see me, but I can’t see them as they continue to glance back and forth.  Do they think I don’t realize what they’re talking about?  It’s quite obvious that they’re talking about me.

I keep telling myself that it’s nothing bad because these are the people that have been somewhat nice to me.  I recognize all of them—Zayn, Louis, Liam, and Niall—but there’s one person in particular whom I can’t seem to put a name to the face.

I know I’ve seen him before.  He has tan skin and hazel eyes and he’s super tall.  I’ve been racking my brain since he walked in the house, but not one name comes to mind.

The kitchen door flies open as Harry walks back into the room with cups and plates balancing on his arms.  He places them down on the table before clearing his throat to get everyone’s attention.

The men all turn around in their seats and look at Harry as he stands beside me.

“We’re missing someone,” Harry says as he looks around the room.  Everyone turns to look at each other, raising their eyebrows slightly as they do so.  “Alice,” Harry adds with a nod of his head.  “I’m sure she’ll be here soon.  Let’s just start the meeting.”

“What’s this all about?” Louis asks.

“I invited you guys over for a secret meeting.   Consider yourselves lucky, I guess,” he says with a shrug of his shoulders.  “I trust you guys the most in this fraudulent gang.”

He sets the food in front of the guys and they all snatch something in their hands before looking back at Harry to continue.  The front door opens quietly, not disturbing the meeting at all, and in steps Alice.  Her eyes wander around the room before they land on me.  They look happy as her smile radiates off her skin.  I give her a subtle wave as she takes a seat right next to hazel eyes.

She places her hands over his arm and whispers something into his ear.  As soon as his brain registers what she said, he looks over at her with this look of pure admiration and fondness that overtakes his facial features.  It makes Alice smile giddily and as she tries to cover up the small smile and rosy cheeks, he softly kisses the top of her head.

And that’s when it hits me—who hazel eyes is.  He’s Skyscraper from the night I was drunk.  His name is still empty in my head, but at least I know where I first met him.

“So, A.J. is becoming a bit obsessed with selling Jackie and it’s starting to become a bit extreme,” Harry says.  “If she doesn’t get sold to Drew within the next orientation, she’s going to be killed.”

The word itself causes shivers to run up and down my spine.  Harry places his hand on my back, as if reading my mind, trying to settle my nerves.

“What’s the problem then?  Just make sure that she gets sold,” Louis says.