Chapter One

Oh no, here she comes.

There I was, trying to meet a deadline ahead of time while my friend came barreling towards me at full speed. We weren't even really friends, though. We were just work acquaintances. I didn't do the whole friendship thing.

"Aubrey, Aubrey!" Carlita shrieked while waving her arms frantically. I knew she’d forgotten that we were in an office and not at a party.

Maybe if I look like I'm busy working, she won't bother me.

Scooting my chair further into my office cubicle, I busied myself with reading through emails on my computer.

"Oh, cut the shit, I know you saw me."

Damn. Busted.

"Of course, I saw you! How could I miss something so beautiful?" My sarcasm was too advanced for Carlita because she clearly hadn't caught on.

"You're so sweet, that's why I love you."

I mentally rolled my eyes at the girl. She was good company but god was she clueless at times.

"I love you, too." I hated throwing around that word so carelessly. "Now, what did you come rushing over here for?"

"Guess what time it is?" She beamed.

"Uh," the numbers in the corner of my computer said ten thirty-two, so I went with that. "Just half past ten?"

"Wrong!"

"Jesus, will you lower your voice? I can't afford to have Tiffany on my ass even more than she already is."

I poked my head around the corner of my cubicle to see if my bitch of a boss was paying attention to our conversation. As usual, her pedicured feet were propped on her glass desk with a phone glued to her ear. I couldn't understand how anything ever got done in the office since all she did was call whomever it was that made her twirl her hair around her finger like a schoolgirl.

"Tiffany!" Carlita yelled at the top of her lungs, and then ducked down quickly.

"Are you out of your mind?" I hissed, ducking right there with her on the side of my desk.

After a few seconds, my 'friend' broke out into a fit of laughter. I swore that the girl tried to get me in unnecessary trouble at times.

"I doubt her snooty ass even heard anything. Hold on, let me check." She whispered.

Oh, now the bitch wants to whisper.

I watched as Carlita's small frame rose to its full height. She stood on her toes to get a better look over the cubicle walls. Even with heels on, it was still a challenge.

"Well?" I pressed.

"Coast is clear," she grinned proudly. "Now get up, I have things to tell you."

"Make it quick, I have work to do."

"Yes, because finding the perfect questions to answer for the advice column is so intriguing," she snorted a laugh. "Anyhoo, today is the day that begins the interview process for the new interns."

Carlita's eyes were wide with excitement. She balled her fists and waved them in small circles. Whatever she had for breakfast, I wanted some.

"I think I'm missing something here." I grew bored of the conversation quickly, wishing she would just go back to her side of the office. Far, far away from me.

"Clearly," dark brown eyes rolled. "Do you know what this means? It'll basically be like having our own assistants all the time. I'll get my own personal slave!"