Chapter Twenty-two

Sighing, I leaned against the cold doorframe, wondering, what now? as a second figure came into view. What could they possibly want from me? The more I dealt with them, the more my mind and body felt as if they were being drained – a slow, exhausting sensation.

The bouquet was lifted toward me in a ‘here, go on and take this’ motion, wiggling from side to side, its plastic sleeve crinkling as it was gripped. I made no move to do so, wanting to just block out the world by diving back into bed and throwing one of the fluffy pillows over my head.

“Don’t be like this,” she cooed. “We spent an hour looking for the perfect florist.”

Was that piece of information supposed to make me care? It’s not like I asked them to travel through the state of Massachusetts in search of rare white roses. Besides the trash can, where was I going to put them?

“Can we come in?”

At least he asked that time, unlike earlier in the afternoon when he walked in like he owned the place. If I closed the door in their faces, they were the type of people to knock until I opened it again. So instead of protesting, I stepped to the side, allowing them a small bit of space to pass through.

“It’s nice to see you’re still alive.” I mumbled, closing the door behind the pair.

Gage paused as he shuffled past me, cocking an eyebrow. I smiled and shrugged in response, rolling my eyes when his back faced me. Flicking the latch into the doorframe so it wasn’t fully shut, I wondered what Dumb and Dumber were up to.  

“Is there something I can help you two with?”

“Yes,” Carlita’s eyes twinkled as she looked at me, sincerity flickering over them. Sitting on a stool at the breakfast bar, she folded her hands over the countertop, exhaling a loud breath as Gage took the seat beside her. “actually, there is. Over the past few hours, Gage and I have been doing a lot of talking, and I’m here to…” She paused to sneak a peek at me, anxiety washing over her features. “to apologize for the way I’ve been acting lately. Now, before you get mad or say anything, can you just hear me out?”

Whatever she had to say was serious if she asked me not to get mad. Though it was a little late for that, I nodded, narrowing my eyes as I studied the woman. A sheen of sweat glistened at her hairline the longer I looked at her, her complexion paling and usual confidence diminishing. I knew how to read people, and as much as it pained me to accept the fact, I knew that she was being genuine with me at that moment. Breaking eye contact, I focused my eyes on the wooden cabinets in the small kitchenette, nodding for her to continue.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Gage reach for one of her hands, comforting Carlita in a way that made me sick to my stomach. There was still a chance that all of this was part of some diabolical plan to destroy me, but the nagging in the back of my mind told me to give her a chance.

“I heard that white roses are a symbol of starting over – a new beginning, and that’s what I’m here to accomplish.” Looking back over at the pair, Gage rubbed the back of her palm in small circles while smiling reassuringly. From her bowed head, big brown eyes watched me, gauging my reaction. I shrugged, motioning for her to continue. “I’ve done some horrible things to you, Aubrey, and I’m here to own up to them.”

The roses are normally used for new beginnings, like marriage, but whatever.

“You can start with how you slashed my tire.”

I snapped, scowling at the memory of watching the hooded figure prance away on the security camera like what they’d done was perfectly normal. Carlita’s eyes widened, her face showing even more shame than what it did before. Good, I thought, feel bad for acting so immaturely. Feeling like I had the upper hand, I crossed my arms over my chest as I glared down at her, letting her know that she could no longer BS me.