Chapter Four

Awkward.

Actually, no. Awkward didn't begin to describe the car ride home between Rhode, Carlita, and myself. Those two got along like old friends who were just reunited, while I sat there like an intruder or peeping tom.

"So, who am I bringing home first?"

Rhode asked, looking from me to Carlita, who was slumped in the backseat. We were stopped at a red light, which gave him the opportunity to turn his body around to come face-to-face with us. I didn't mind, though. He was closer to me than I expected; close enough that I was able to feel the air exhale from his nostrils and onto my arm. Of course chill bumps chose the perfect moment to erupt onto my skin.

"Are you cold? I can turn on the heat if you'd like."

Who was this guy, and what did he do with the one from earlier in the afternoon?

"No," I smiled, and shrugged it off. "I'm fine."

"I bet she wants you to heat her up, Mr. Hottie." Carlita drunkenly mumbled. "Take me home so you two can have some alone time."

For someone who was 'drunk', she sure knew a lot that was going on.

"That's actually a good idea." Rhode nodded. "That way we can both help her into her house."

Nice job, Carlita, I thought. As much as I wanted to sit and stare at Rhode Harper, work relationships were forbidden. Plus, there was no way that I was going to be with someone that could be cocky and condescending one minute, then sweet and sincere the next. It all seemed like an act to me.

"Good, good. Now hurry up, I have to take a piss."

Ah, leave it to Carlita to make things even more uncomfortable than they already were.

After another half hour of maneuvering through the city and multiple U-turns, the three of us managed to pull in front of Carlita's building. I was a bit jealous that someone with the same shit salary as me, who was also not much older, could afford to live on her own in an actually decent looking building while I still lived at home with mom and dad.

"She's asleep," Rhode's head nodded towards the backseat. "I guess I'll have to carry her. Let's go."

I did enjoy the charming Rhode Harper while it lasted, now it seemed he was back to his usual snippy self. Any little thing could dampen this man's mood. When the backdoor of his sleek, black car was opened, I couldn't stop myself from gawking. I hadn't taken a good look at it while we were still at the restaurant.

"What kind of car is this?" I asked as I walked to the front and saw sparkling LED lights.

It wasn't that I was impressed that he drove something so nice, I was genuinely shocked that he could afford it. Not once during the interview did Rhode mention that he had another job - a good one at that. It wasn't even listed on his résumé that he was currently employed.

"An Audi, why? Never seen one before? In case you haven't noticed, they're everywhere."

Oh yeah, hilarious.

"This is brand new." I glided a finger over the polished, midnight surface.

"Well, aren't you an observant one."

"How the hell did you buy it, make monthly payments - whatever, without having some sort of income? And now you're an intern that doesn't even get paid!"

Rhode was stood with a slumped Carlita on the brick pathway that lead to her building. With her still in his arms, he spun sharply on his heels. When his jaw clenched and emerald eyes narrowed at me, I felt like a small child being reprimanded by their parent.