Chapter Twenty

The universe works in mysterious ways. Right about now, I don't doubt that for a second. Though, this situation is most likely just coincidental.

Friday morning came in a blur, Thursday going by smoothly since Carlita was nowhere to be found and I could freely concentrate on working. Alana was right, Elise had everything under control. And as I buckled myself into the backseat of the large, black SUV outside of the office, I knew I was in for one hell of a trip. On the plus side, at least Boston would be like a mini-getaway. Or so I thought.

How did I even end up in a car with the man seated next to me?

Oh, wait, I remembered. His uncle was the owner of the company I worked at. He was also the one I had to make a good impression on, but with his danger of a nephew next to me, that would be a hard task to accomplish. We would be spending the next few hours traveling side by side, so a little talking couldn't hurt. Besides looking at the scenery rush by, typing away on our phones, or listening to the quiet jazz played by the driver, there wasn't much else to keep us occupied.

"Wow, I haven't seen the city this early in a long time. Normally, I'm the one stuck behind the wheel and can't turn to really look." Not long into the drive, we passed over the George Washington Bridge, the view of a slightly foggy Manhattan to our right, and a seemingly endless array of buildings stretched on before us. "It's amazing."

"Yeah, it is." Gage murmured, his voice closer to me than what I was comfortable with. "When was the last time you were there without it being work related?" Our arms brushed, making me shy away from him and snuggle closer to the door. At that point, I would've been riding on the roof if it meant creating some space between the two of us. Talking was fine, but this man had no limits when it came to touching.

"It's been a while."

"It looks like I'll have to fix that. It really is the best city on earth."

Nice try, but you won't be fixing anything involving me.

By the low rumble of Gage's voice, I knew he was implying something more than just accompanying me through the streets of Manhattan. I would rather get lost in Central Park before letting him try anything else that would most likely not turn out the way he'd planned.

"Right." Mumbling, I turned my head to roll my eyes. On the other hand, this city had actually been the best out of all I had visited. The New York City atmosphere was exhilarating. Before Gage could get any more ideas, I changed the subject. "So, have you ever been to Boston?"

"Have I?" He smirked, his eyes twinkling with a pride. "That's where I'm originally from, but I move around from place to place."

"In other words, you're homeless?"

Crap.

Immediately, my hand flew to my mouth, my eyes widening. I doubt it was possible for me to sound any more ignorant than I did at that moment. Who just blurts out that someone is homeless? If it wasn't for Gage's laughing, I would've been as white as a ghost.

"Hey, don't be embarrassed. I think you'll be glad to know that that's not the case. Settling in one area just isn't my kind of thing, plus, I'm a musician. I'd go insane if I had to do that for the rest of my life."

"I bet, and I'm sorry for saying that. I hope I didn't offend you by what I was implying."

Instead of responding right away, he grabbed my hand, bringing it over to rest of his forearm. Using his fingers to bend mine into a pinching motion, a broad grin stretched across his face. "Feel that?" Though slightly confused by what he was doing, I nodded, narrowing my eyes. "I've got thick skin, so I can take whatever someone throws at me."