Chapter Fifteen

Maybe I'm dreaming. No, I know I'm not. The universe just likes to play sick games on me when I finally get close to being happy.

While my back was continuously rubbed by a bigger one, a much smaller hand rested on my hanging arm. Though it was a little sticky, its warmth somehow soothed my shaking.

"You should sit down." The voice below told me, grabbing my fingers. I held on to his own, my chest hurting when I thought about what Serene just told us - well, told Rhode since she completely ignored my presence. It was nothing new there.

"That's disgusting." Her whiny voice said impatiently. "Is she done yet? I have things I want to talk to you about, Rhode."

I would've responded to her, but my body was too weak to move. Plus, I didn't want to curse in front of the child.

While the big hand removed itself from my body, the smaller one squeezed where our skin was connected. Wanting to cry from this child trying to comfort me, a dull ache formed in my head, the pain throbbing behind the front of my skull.

"Our son?" His voice was lethal, even erupting a shiver to rake down my spine. "No, your son. I don't have kids, and don't you dare show up to my home uninvited again."

"Why are you talking to me like that? Are you replacing me, your best friend, with her?" Her tone was dramatic, trying to gain his sympathy.

"No, you don't even compare to her. She would never come up with a desperate scheme just to keep me around. I want you to leave right now. Friends don't do shit like this to each other."

"Fine, but I'll be back later to talk to you. Don't you see, Rhode? We can be happy again. I'm not going to hide him anymore."

Serene's voice sounded like nothing but a crazy plea. The girl had snapped. If it were any other time, I would've laughed at her name and behavior, seeing as she was anything but calm or peaceful.

"Get out." He growled at her, causing the little boy to tuck closer into my side. I lifted my lids to see him hiding behind my shoulder. His big, almond shaped eyes were filled with fear. "Leave the key to this apartment on the table, too."

"C'mon, Eamon." She spoke after a minute of thick silence.

Looking down at the boy who I now knew as Eamon, his soft eyes glanced up at me, almost like he was asking if I was okay. I nodded to him, dropping my hand and watching him frown as he moved past me. It was obvious that he didn't want to leave with his mother. I mean, who would blame him?

The door to Rhode's apartment slammed shut, his heavy footsteps coming closer to me. In my weak state, I somehow managed to straighten up and turn around to face him, looking into his eyes that were wild with anger.

Before he could touch me, I lifted a hand, halting his advances.

"Give me a minute."

He nodded, leaning his back against the counter of which the boy previously sat, his arms folding over his chest as he looked at me. Shakily, my hand turned on the faucet and scooped some cold water into my mouth to swish around, attempting to get rid of the revolting taste of my vomit. I splashed some on my face, the dried tears that stuck to my clammy skin, washed away with it.

Have fun cleaning this up later, Rhode.

"I have no idea what just happened." His head shook, a hand tugging at the roots of his thick hair. Did he not know how long sixty seconds was?

"I said give me a minute!" I snapped, shocking him into looking up at me again and making a ball in the middle of my abdomen threaten to resurface again.