Epilogue

Since the party, Rhode and I decided to take things slow, just to test the waters of our relationship and make sure that it was still what we wanted. And so far, it was.

Though he hadn’t been in contact with his cousin since, just thinking about that day and how I was surrounded by love from Rhode’s family brought a smile to my face. I wanted that in my future, especially the one that involved children. I knew I was still young and had yet to experience much in life, but I knew who I wanted to have with me when I did, and I’d make damn sure that I would be the one by his side for the remainder of his. He wouldn’t be getting away that easily, and I smirked at the crazy thoughts running through my head.

It was like I was a member who everyone hadn’t seen in a long time, being passed from one person to the next, and smothered by kisses or squeezed into hugs. Everyone was so warm and welcoming, never judging like what I’d dealt with in past relationships. Rhode’s father and Janine, who I was surprised he’d stayed with, were also treated as equally as everyone else, despite what happened in the past. But that’s what it was; the past, and they taught me to stop living in mine.

Even Rafi, who was placed in my lap while he tore open presents, would reach up and try to kiss my cheek from time to time, and I loved every second of it. Just remembering the affection he received made me know that I wanted the same for my kids. Yeah, they were going to be spoiled rotten.

In the month after leaving Adrian’s house on that eventful day, Rhode and I had gone on a few cute dates in the weeks to follow. Ranging from ice skating, taking a cooking class, going mini-golfing, and lastly – which was also my favorite – paint-balling, I’d never had so much fun in my life. And now, we were lounging in his apartment, watching a movie with me lying on top of his chest.

“What do you keep smiling at?” He hummed, laughing, the vibrations from it spreading a warmth throughout my body. “I can feel your cheek moving, you know.”

“Nothing much,” Lifting my head, I patted his stomach and smiled up at him. “I’m just thinking about something.”

“Does this thinking include finally moving in with me?”

Feeling my mood dampen, I scooted from off of him, sitting up to tuck my knees under my body. We’d been through this before, and I gave him the same answer each time, even having our first fight as a couple because of it. It was irritating how Rhode would ask multiple times a week if I would live with him, and now it was just tiring. The man seriously could not take a hint, but his persistency was still something I loved about him.

Crap, there was that word again. It sat in the back of my mind, and as the weeks progressed, it moved its way onto my tongue. As of now, it was on the tip, but it was still way too early to tell him. We’d only just started dating, and all I wanted was for things to play out and take their own course, not be forced into something I wasn’t ready for. Rhode needed to be told that… again.

He’d get the same hopeful expression on his face, his gold flecked eyes failing to contain his excitement, like my answer would change from the previous time he asked, but I was firm in what I stood by. Well, I tried to be.

“No,” I glared, trying to subdue my anger. “It doesn’t, and you already know that, so quit asking me.”

We weren’t married, or even engaged, and I felt like I had no reason to move in with him. I didn’t want to be like one of those couples who rushed into things and couldn’t stand each other after only a short amount of time. Besides, I stayed in his apartment enough days out of the week so it seemed like I was already living there.

Rhode rolled his eyes, bending his arms behind his head on the armrest – the same one he took me on the first night I stayed over three weeks ago, and the memories of it were choosing the wrong time to replay over in my mind. I was trying to get a point across, and my body was betraying me as I thought about how my chest was buried in the leather cushions and how he moved in and out from behind, stroking my spine with the gentlest of caresses, his hips rolling from their thrusts. I turned away from his stare, focusing my gaze on the TV, feeling my heart pound in my chest and neck tingle from a flush that quickly spread to my face.