Chapter Seventeen

Wait a minute, I can't be hallucinating. Those pills from Carlita never entered my body, so what am I seeing before me? Maybe if I close my eyes and open them again, it'll be gone.

Following my grandmother through the living room and down the hall to the front door, I blinked multiple times at the sight that was revealed when she opened it. A mix of shock, hurt, and anger boiled through my body when I eventually came to realize that it wasn't my imagination playing tricks on me.

"Who the hell are you?" She glowered, her eyes traveling down, then back up the visitor's body.

The corner of my mouth raised into a slight grin when I saw the older woman cross her arms over her chest, knowing that she would never take a liking to the person in front of her. Before our special guest could answer, Rhode stepped into view and did it for her.

"Good evening, ma'am. I'm Rhode Harper." He extended his hand to the older blonde who reluctantly reached to accept it. "Mrs. Martina is expecting me for dinner. This is my friend, Serene Meyers."

All possibilities of me and Rhode repairing anything was gone--done after that little stunt. I'd thought that a few times before, but this was the last straw. It just wasn't worth it.

"Huh," The skin around her eyes crinkled as she studied Rhode's face, leaning her head to the side as she looked. "I wasn't aware that you were going to bring a guest. You should have at least called, that way we made sure to cook enough food."

"I apologize. It was a last minute decision, and with the way Mrs. Martina has been so kind to me, I was hoping she wouldn't mind."

"Are you taking advantage of my daughter's hospitality?"

"I, I'm not-" He stuttered, his face flushing from my grandmother's little interrogation.

"Oh, mother stop it. Let our guests in, please. There's plenty of room and food for them."

Our dining room table was able to seat a lot of people, but they didn't need to know that. Leave it to my mother and her big mouth to let little things like that slip. If it wasn't for her, Rhode and his dragon wouldn't have even come, and I wouldn't have been feeling like there was a giant knife lodged in my back.

What happened to him taking care of the Serene problem? If this was his idea of dealing with it, he was more screwed up than I thought.

My parents stood above us on the stairs, watching the scene unfold, a smile gracing only one of their faces. Though he was sending daggers at Rhode's head--even making me a little uncomfortable, it made me happy to know that my father and grandmother would always have my back. I knew her intentions meant well, but my mother's need to see the good in everyone was more than just aggravating at times.

"Thank you, Mrs. Martina. This is my friend, Serene."

"Welcome to our home." My mother beamed, waving them inside. "Rhode, you remember my husband, Vince. And please, feel free to call me Shay."

Rhode nodded his hello to my father, placing a hand at the small of Serene's back and ushering her into the foyer. "Thank you, Shay. We appreciate it."

"Yes, thank you. You have a lovely home." Serene spoke, her eyes gleaming with what looked like sincerity. Turning to me, she said, "It's nice to see you again, Aubrey."

Did anyone else smell the bullshit floating through the air, or was it just me?

"Uh huh."

A strong urge to roll my eyes passed through me, but with everyone watching, I kept my answer simple. Rhode wasn't fortunate enough to even get that kind of response, so I didn't say anything at all to him.