8.

Zara

Did I️ just get invited to a party?
I just got invited to a party.
An actual party. That's never happened before.
Never.

I close my notebook and pack away all of my belongings as the second bell rings, indicating the end of first period.

I walked out of the classroom slowly to give Jax enough time to catch up to me, but at a quick enough pace that I wouldn't get shoved through the doorway.

I exit the class and walk down the hallway slowly again.
I feel a tap on my shoulder so I turn around and there he is.
With a piece of paper in his hand.
For me?
A slight smile forms on my face as he hands the paper to me.
It wrote,
"Jax (334)- 602-9721. just in case yaknow," with a horribly drawn wink-face emoticon.
I quietly chuckle at it.

I take the piece of paper and reply with "I still don't even know if I'll end up going."
"Just in case," he answers with a grin and a slight shrug.

At least I didn't have to ask for his number, so that saved me the anxiety, I think to myself.

"Thanks Jason," I say with a devilish smirk.
"I hate you," he replies rolling his forest green eyes. "Love you too." I say sarcastically.
Wait what? Shit.
I don't want him to think I love him. I don't even know if I like him. I don't even really know him.

He doesn't love me. He doesn't even like me.
He doesn't even know me.

You're such a dumbass, I think mentally scolding myself.

This is why you'll never have a boyfriend. You're always taking everything too far. From now on, just keep quiet, my conscience demands.

We stroll through the crowded halls weaving left and right to avoid getting knocked down by the other students rushing to get to their classes.

Keep your head down.
Don't look at him.
Or anyone else for that matter.

You don't see me trying?

"So why'd you move here?" he asks, trying to make light conversation.

"My mom got a job here," I reply quietly, my eyes glued to my shoes on the tile floors. "That's cool," he says while placing his hands in his pockets, "What does she do?"
"Law," I reply bluntly.
"Oh cool," he says nodding his head.
Clearly he's not into this conversation.
I watched as a strand of his shiny black hair bounced up and down as he nodded.
Beautiful.

Wait what?
What am I️ thinking? Shut the hell up.

"I guess," I say quietly.
"What does your mom do?" I ask.
He looks taken aback by my question and I automatically regret opening my big mouth.
What did I just do?
"Uh- she um- I-," he stutters, his face turning red as a tomato. His gaze shifts towards the floor as I panic wondering what I just caused.

Why did he get so nervous?

"Sorry," I apologize, "I shouldn't have asked you that."
If he can ask me, why can't I ask him?
"Um- yeah it's uh- it's okay," he says, his voice getting softer as he utters every word.
You should've just kept your mouth shut.