13.

Zara awoke to the smell of ackee and dumpling coming from the kitchen downstairs.

She rolled over on her back into her pillow and half-smiled.

I guess it's one of those Saturdays.

Her smile dropped when she remembered what went down the night before.
She reached for her phone in her bag.

10:48 am.

She read the messages from Kelsey and the unknown number, which she figured was Jax.

He just had to go and break his rib.

Is he okay?
I hope he's okay.

Should I visit him?

No, you're mad at him.

Are you really?

Yes, because he didn't stick up for me last night.

Except for the fact that he did and he has a black eye and a broken rib because of you.
You owe it to him.

You're right.

Zara contemplated on whether or not she should text Kelsey and ask which hospital he was staying in and when visiting hours begin and end.

If you text her, she'll think you forgave her.

But she's your only friend right now.

So what?

Put your pride aside and text her.

First of all, I don't even have pride.

Fine.

After breakfast.

Zara stepped out of bed and slipped into her flip flops, heading to the bathroom to wash her face and brush her teeth.

She patted her face dry and smeared her face with a dime-sized amount of olive oil and vitamin e lotion.
Zara headed downstairs to greet her mother at the kitchen table.

"Morning, Mommy," Zara uttered, picking up a spoon to put her share of ackee and dumplings on her plate.

"Mmhmm," her mother replied, her mouth full of ackee.

"What time did you come in last night?"

"A quarter to one," she answered matter-of-factly.

Trudy nodded her head, impressed with her daughters obedience.

"Did you have fun?" Trudy asked as Zara bustled to the kitchen table, eager to sit down and feast.

Zara hesitated.

"Yeah," she replied shortly, avoiding eye contact.

"Hmm," Trudy nodded.

Zara finished her plate quickly, due to the fact that she hadn't eaten since the middle of the day yesterday.