Crush

April let out a yawn as she shut her front door behind her. The sun was just beginning to peek over the top of the Hokage monument. April smiled as she stretched. Everything was always so quiet and peaceful at this time, it almost felt as if she had the whole village to herself. As she straightened up, April pulled her iPod out of her pocket and started one of her favorite exercise playlists. As she put in the earbuds, the slow intro for Can't Hold us by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis filled her ears. She closed her eyes and took a breath, bending her knees as she prepared to begin. The moment the rhythm of the song picked up and the beat kicked in, she took off like a shot, jumping up onto the railing and kicking off, using it like a springboard to leap onto the roof of the neighboring building.

Return of the Mack, get up!
What it is, what it does, what it is, what it isn't.
Looking for a better way to get up out of bed
Instead of getting on the Internet and checking a new hit
Get up! Fresh out, pimp strut walking, little bit of humble, little bit of cautious
Somewhere between like Rocky and Cosby. Sweater gang, nope, nope y'all can't copy
Yup. Bad, moon walking, this here is our party, my posse's been on Broadway,
And we did it our way.

April grinned, enjoying the feeling of the wind rushing through her hair as she ran and jumped to the rhythm of Macklemore's rap, matching the movement of her feet to the speed of the lyrics.

Grown music, I shed my skin and put my bones into everything I record to it
And yet I'm on.
Let that stage light go and shine on down,
Got that Bob Barker suit game and plinko in my style.
Money, stay on my craft and stick around for those pounds,
But I do that to pass the torch and put on for my town
Trust me. On my I-N-D-E-P-E-N-D-E-N-T shit hustler,
Chasing dreams since I was fourteen with the four track bussing
Halfway cross that city with the backpack, fat cat, crushing

April waved to the some of the shopkeepers below, who were coming in to set up for the day as she passed, on her descent towards the ground.

Labels out here,
Now they can't tell me nothing
We give that to the people,
Spread it across the country
Labels out here,
Now they can't tell me nothing
We give it to the people,
Spread it across the country

Her feet hit the street as the refrain began, and she smiled as she unconsciously sang along, racing towards the rising sun.

Can we go back, this is the moment
Tonight is the night, we'll fight 'til it's over
So we put our hands up like the ceiling can't hold us
Like the ceiling can't hold us
Can we go back, this is the moment
Tonight is the night, we'll fight 'til it's over
So we put our hands up like the ceiling can't hold us
Like the ceiling can't hold us...

Several songs later, April was cheerfully humming along to Abba's Take A Chance On Me, when she found herself approaching the cemetery. She immediately skidded to a halt when a familiar flash of silver caught her attention out the corner of her eye.

'Time to take a chance of my own...' she thought with a Cheshire cat grin as she headed in. "Morning, Kakashi-sensei!" April called out pleasantly as she removed her earbuds and made a beeline for the jōnin.

"Oh, April-chan... You're up early," Kakashi remarked as he turned to face her, a little surprised to see her running around the outskirts of the village at that time of the morning. She still had another week to go before she could get the cast on her wrist removed, but she obviously wasn't letting that slow her down at all.

"You, too, Sensei," April replied with a smile. She noticed there were fresh flowers in the vases for the grave he that he had been standing in front of. "I'm sorry, were you visiting someone?"