Chapter 4 - These cables won't be cut

I feel bad. Not only did I completely throw out the window what I promised, but I haven't had the time to rectify my mistake yet. Sorry, if you were (for some reason) waiting, but I will try and get back on track. I've just ben a little busy recently. So, without further ado, let this chapter begin!

Standing atop Gotham city Police Department, a 14 year-old boy with black hair chuckled to himself, relishing in the irony. For the past week, the men inside the very building he was resting on had been searching for him more than ever. Something about 'matching a set'. 

However, the more he took his time to think about it, the more time it took him to figure it out. And when he did, he groaned and muttered to himself about being stupid.

It was a clear night, with only a gentle breeze that blew through his hair and at his face, as if caressing it.

His mind soon came to other things, letting him fall into thought. This was broken when he heard a door close, and the smell of tobacco reached his nose. 

It only took him seconds to realize that the grumblings accompanying the scuffling and smell belonged to one of the detectives in the GPD. 

Cursing under his breath, he fled to the edge of the rooftop, intending to escape before the officer saw him out in the open.

He knew this didn't work when he heard the gasp from the adult male. Cursing out loud this time, he threw himself off the building, taking out a metal pole the length of a police baton from the 1900s. Holding it horizontally in both arms, he lined it up with the nearest tower, before pulling a seemingly non-existent trigger. This caused two long cords to fly out of panels on either end of the stick, attaching themselves to the side of the tower he had aimed at.

He immediately started to swing from the cords, as if it was a second nature, letting loose a cackle and a smirk once he heard the startled officer call out to him.

"Stop right where you are Trapeze! Or I'll shoot, I swear I will!"

This only succeeded in making him laugh so much he nearly fell off, before catching himself and continuing on his way.

Listening to his instincts, he jumped up into the air with a flip mid-jump, before falling back down and grabbing the pole between one hand.

Feeling secure, he turned around at his waist and flipped off the man who's bullet he had avoided.

"You'll have to do better than that if you want to catch me officer!" He yelled back. "Because I can tell you now, these cables won't be cut!

Soaring away, he couldn't help but remember the day he had made that promise to himself and his biological parents, the day he had been given his second chance to fly....

*Super awesome skip into flashback*

"Diiiiiiick! Get down here now!" Came the voice of one Harleen Quinzel from the 'ground floor' of their 'house'.

"Coming mum!" As had become their way. 

When he entered the lounge, he was greeted by what some would call a strange sight. He, however, called it normal. 

The sight itself was of his adoptive mother and father standing side by side, the former hiding something behind her back, and the latter with a slightly bigger smile than normal.

"What are you two up to this time?" He inquired, with the slight trace of worry.

"You wound me, my boy! Why do you always think we've done something when we want to talk to you together?" His father exclaimed, as dramatic as always.

"Because you're you."

"Hmm. Well, that's fair."

"ANYWAY! Birdie, we have something we want to talk to you about. You remember what day it is today, right?"

"Judging from that, something important." He thought for a moment before a smile crept across his face, matching his mother's. "It's our anniversary today, isn't it?"

"YES!" She squealed. "And to celebrate, we made you a couple of things that we hope you'll like. Think of it as a new beginning with us."

"Well, what is it then?"

She reached behind her back, pulling out what looked something like his old acrobatics costume.

"I- I love it. Thank you." He said sincerely, tears threatening to leak out of his eyes, a couple already making it out of his eyes before he could stop them.

"We thought, since you're our son, and support what we do, you would maybe want to err join us as Trapeze." She asked, uncertainty and fear  creeping through her voice.

The tears were falling freely now. All he could manage to do was nod his head, trying to convey how much this meant to him through his eyes.

"I swear, my cables won't be cut, in honour of you two, my parents."  He whispered unheard by anyone, in his signature mixture of languages.

*Flashback ends here ma peeps*

It had been 4 years since then, and the three of them had only got closer to each other as a family. As soon as he showed interest in something, the elder two went out of their way to make it better for him. The only thing that had stuck, though, was programming and hacking. His parents had 'enlisted' (read: held at gunpoint and threatened) the best teacher they could find.

The only other significant thing that had happened in that time would have to be -

He was brought out of his musings by a pair of arms wrapping around his chest from behind.

"Well hey there handsome."

As stated at the top, I will be trying to spend more time on this. Please give me whatever feedback you can, I will really appreciate it.

MickldaPickl, OUT!