Chapter Four

"He was the Great Sage, equal of Heaven

"He was the Great Sage, equal of Heaven. Armed with the knowledge of seventy-two transformations and powers beyond anyone's imagination, he laid waste to the Nine Heavens with his beloved Jingu Bang, the treasured staff of the Eastern Dragon King. None could defeat the Monkey King, be finally found his match at the hands of the All Wise."

Fall of Sun WuKong—A Journey to the West

CHAPTER FOUR

We gathered outside the courtyard in utter silence. Not even Mila and Shao, who spent every minute of the day practicing their vocals or exchanging the hottest gossip in city, spoke a single word. It was as though everyone was stunned by the sinister grandeur of the Jade Palace. Everywhere we turned, stone lions snarled at us from their raised platforms, the trees shook their branches at us, and guards sized us down, their hands never leaving the hilt of their swords.

The main doors of the Palace swung open. The eunuch with the large hat walked into the courtyard.

Pooj hissed in my arms and spat at the eunuch.

"Hush," I whispered. "Not now. You can kill him only after we leave the Jade Palace."

He hissed again, then fell silent.

The eunuch's eyes flicked lazily to Pooj, then back at us. "Greetings," he said in his oily voice. "Welcome to the Jade Palace."

"Your welcome is much appreciated." Mr. Long rolled down the ramp with the help of Reni. "I suppose you're here to show us our accommodation?"

"Please call me Gui," the eunuch said. "Yes, indeed. We have the guest court prepared for your theater. Please, follow me."

"How nice." I adjusted the straps of my bundle on my shoulder. "I thought we would have to camp outside."

"Not necessarily," Mr. Long said as everyone contrived to follow Gui into the Palace. "The Imperials are well known for their courtesy."

"Courtesy is a facade." Mila drew up beside us, her face solemn. "Quick advice from the older chaps. The Jade Palace is not a place for commoners like us. Don't talk to anyone that is not our own. Stay away from the concubines and pray you don't run into the Imperials."

"Bad memories, eh?" Shao said in a singsong voice. "Still pissed at the romance that did not work out between you and the general?"

"That general was a rotten biscuit," Mila snapped. "I was just trying to protect the kids. This is the first time they've ever set foot into the Jade Palace. Someone has to look out for them."

"I'm sure they can look after themselves," Mr. Long interjected, rolling up to us. "I trust they won't stir up any trouble."

"Yes," Shao said petulantly. "That's what you said last time, and then they set an auditorium on fire."