Chapter Seventeen

"The Centipede Demon has a thousand eyes on his chest, and the Spider Demons have eight

"The Centipede Demon has a thousand eyes on his chest, and the Spider Demons have eight. Although Hundun has only four eyes, he could see through the Three Realms and wreak havoc wherever his gaze landed. Indeed, he was the true leader of the High Demons.

The High Demon of Chaos—The Tome of Evil

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

That night, I wandered around Qiliu Court, running over word Wulin had uttered, and what my next move would be.

If you prove to the public that you'd make a better Empress than Shila, the common people would fight for our union.

But I was no princess.

A jolt of pain shuddered through me as I recalled the night the sky turned red, and the fresh air of our little village was clogged with rising smoke. My scalpel burned against my chest, and I fought for breath. When was the last time I had thought of my family and Zichuan Theater? I had been caught up with Donghwa, my faces, and my exhilaration at toying with the princes as though they were puppets whose strings were wrapped around my fingers.

Unlike Zhennan Court, there was no lotus pond. Instead, blood red roses bloomed from the endless walls of dark green in the garden. The drops of water on the roses glimmered like lost jewels. I reached for the closest rose and pressed it against my nose, inhaling its sweet scent.

"How's that arm? Did Wulin kiss it so the pain went away?"

I jumped, just as Bowen walked out from behind a thicket of brambles.

"Is sneaking upon unsuspecting women an aptitude of you Imperials?" I asked.

"Well." Bowen strode toward me. "Maybe. I don't know. You should ask my big brother. I heard he is very well-versed at sneaking up on unsuspecting women."

"You're not welcomed here, Your Highness."

Bowen looked surprised. "I'm not? I don't recall my brother issuing an Imperial decree to kick me off his lawn."

"I no longer belong to your court. I suggest you leave me alone."

He smiled. It was a silent, mysterious smile. The kind which implied unknown intentions, much like the swift changes in his attitude and demeanor when around different company.

"Barely a few hours at Qiliu Court, and you've grown bold enough to insult the second prince."

"If you don't leave, I'm going to scream for the guards," I warned. Or put my scalpel through you, whichever comes first.

"I'm not here to let my royal self be affronted by your blasphemous, lowly status," he said. "I'm here to talk."

"I'm not interested."