Chapter Nineteen

"It is entirely possible for the sky to fall again

"It is entirely possible for the sky to fall again. Once, the All Mother had held up the sky with her own body, but she's dead. Should the High Demons be freed, they will lay waste to all Three Realms. The Nine Heavens would fall. Lo and Behold, the world shall witness the most beautiful chaos in the history of All."

Fall of the Nine Heavens—The Tome of Evil

CHAPTER NINETEEN

The following few days followed a similar pattern. Wanru woke me before the sun climbed into the sky, then busied herself in the kitchens while I took lessons from Miya, my new personal maid. Miya was a Golden Bell, slender in figure, with big eyes that gleamed with life, and a smile that lit up the room.

I learned everything from Imperial dining etiquettes to folding the Emperor's dragon robe. At night, I joined Wulin for dinner. Sometimes it was just the two of us, most of the time it was with his generals and courtiers. His courtiers no longer displayed outward hostility toward me. Perhaps it was honest respect, or maybe it was out of fear that Wulin would behead them. Either way, I was glad I no longer felt like an outsider.

Every sliver of trust I earned was a step closer to cleaving off Wulin's head.

Step by slow step.

That night, Wulin dismissed me early, saying he had personal affairs to attend to. Wanru was still working, and Miya had retired to bed, so I had no one to converse with. I walked out of Wulin's residential hall to look at the moon. The night was still early, and the moon was a silver sickle in the sky, sharp enough to reap souls. I was dressed in a white dress with a silver cape as light as gossamer. Wulin liked it when I wore light colors. Standing next to the crown prince who was forever clad in dark colors, I stood out like a flame in a dark chamber, gaining attention wherever I went.

Walking down the path that led to the lake in the middle of the garden, I saw Bowen sitting cross-legged by the stone table, immersed in a game of chess.

Oh no, not again. I turned to walk away, but he drawled out.

"It's rude to turn your back on a prince, you know."

Oh, High Immortals damn him. I spun around and smiled. "Yes, my prince?"

"Come over here," he ordered. "I've got something interesting to show you."

"I don't take orders from you anymore."

Bowen looked up. "You may no longer be my slave, but I am still the second prince. Disobey me and I shall punish you, no matter your affiliation with my brother."

Threats. So typical. I hitched up my dress and approached him as slowly as I could.

Upon approaching him, I noticed he looked different. He was dressed in a heavy silk robe, the color of a fully-bloomed lotus. His hair was loose, falling down to his waist. For once, his crown sat upright on his head, and a heavy jade pendant hung from his side, one I had never seen before. It bore the image of a green dragon flying above coils of undulating waves.