Chapter Twenty-Two

"They had slivers of Donghwa's powers

"They had slivers of Donghwa's powers. The HuaPi Gui are horrendously grotesque creatures—with squirming worms for skin and they must consume human hearts to survive. In order to thrive in a place ruled by humans, they paint beautiful faces on paper and wear them to seduce unwitting young men to their doom."

HuaPi Gui—The Tome of Evil

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

Green leaves turned gold, then a vibrant shade of red before the wind blew them to the ground. As the Mid-Autumn banquet drew near, the Jade Palace exploded with decorations, slaves bustled about, hanging red lanterns from every pillar they could find and dusting every corner of the Palace. Cherry-blossom trees were dug up and placed into enormous porcelain vases lining the corridors. Rows upon rows of tables were set in the great dining hall, and the Emperor's throne was polished to near blinding.

Wanru was more excited about the banquet than I was, although slaves weren't allowed to attend unless they were working. But I promised her nevertheless. No one but Wulin could forbid me from bringing my own "servant", and I doubted he minded.

While Wanru busied herself rummaging through my dresses, I spent my time practicing dancing and visiting the Imperial Tailor who promised me the most beautiful dress I'd ever feasted my eyes upon. He refused to show me the dress until the evening itself and kept repeating the phrase 'It's a secret' over and over again until I was tired of his scratchy voice.

"My father will be present," Wulin had said as he walked me through the corridors and decorations. "Your name has reached his ears. He is ecstatic to meet you."

"Wouldn't he be able to tell I am an impersonator?" I asked. "An Emperor should know all the noble Houses he is affiliated with. We can't trick him like how we tricked the commoners."

"My father is old and sick. Even during his youth, he rarely ventured out of the Palace. Before I was born, it was my late mother who had to carry out the nation's affairs and meet with the generals. He can't even remember the Houses in the Jade City, let alone the name of a House from a distant province."

I knew I should be terrified at meeting the Emperor. He was the backbone of the Empire, more powerful than Wulin. I still remembered how old and frail he looked when I performed in the Pearl Hall. I could Whisper and sway his thoughts without much effort.

There was nothing to fear.

I opened my eyes and took in the woman in the mirror. My dress was a gentle shade of celeste with white muslin folds. Little diamonds decorated the left sleeve, and my hair was held up in an elegant knot by a silver peacock pin. My lips were not colored—the Imperial tailor had envisioned the look of a water sprite; clean and pure. My eyelids were dusted with the faintest trace of silver powder, my cheeks smoothened with pink, and finally, an aquamarine necklace completed the look.