Chapter Seven

"Alas, not even the greatest treasure sprung from the severed tail of a Nine-Tailed Fox could carve a dent in ShiMing's tablet of fate

"Alas, not even the greatest treasure sprung from the severed tail of a Nine-Tailed Fox could carve a dent in ShiMing's tablet of fate. But who would imagine the Kitchen God to be able to change the fate of mortals with his humble brush?"

The Magic Brush—The Immortalist Lores

CHAPTER SEVEN

"Poisoned barbs." Gui nudged the head of the first soldier with his foot. "Very effective."

I stared at the eunuch as he put away his crossbow calmly.

"You killed them," I blurted out.

"Yes." The eunuch brushed his robes and sat down at the table. "I suppose I did. Tea?"

"Am I not the one who should be dead?"

Gui blew the steam from his cup and took a sip. "Perhaps."

"Why am I here?"

"I'm here to propose an offer."

"You're insane."

"You're not the first person to call me that."

Gui set down his teacup. "I can lift the blame from everyone in Zichuan Theater. I can clear everyone's name from the Emperor's execution book. I just need you to do one thing for me. One thing, and you can save everyone you love."

I continued glaring at him.

"I need you to kill the crown prince."

His words were swords to my heart. The dove, the letter, the Palace arrangement, the praises on our performance. None of the Imperials knew we existed. But he did.

"You staged the assassination."

The eunuch smiled. "It took me quite a while to pull everything together, to be honest."

"You're going to burn in all Eighteen Hells." I spat.

Gui looked bored. "I've heard that so many times, I take it as a compliment now."

"Why do you want the crown prince dead?"

"The Kou Dynasty has been a corrupted one. Many people want the throne cleansed of old blood."

"Why not kill the Emperor instead? It would be far easier."

"The Emperor is stepping down from the throne in three months time. The crown prince is next in line. Why aim for the weak when you can take down the strong? Destroy the roots, and the weeds may never grow again."

The ropes cut deeper into my flesh as I tried to yank them apart. Deep inside, I wanted to do it. I wanted to seize this chance and drive a sword right into the heart of the Imperials, but the compassionate part of me reeled me back.