Chapter Twenty-Four

"GanJiang and Moye, the yin and yang of swords

"GanJiang and Moye, the yin and yang of swords. Made from human sacrifice, these swords bring misfortune upon anyone who wields them. It was said that the previous dynasty possessed the twin swords, and those swords became their doom as the Kuo family massacred the entire palace."

The Twin Swords—An Investiture of High Immortals

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

Bowen walked me to Qiliu Court as I stumbled along the way, leaning onto him for support. It was difficult for a half-High Immortal to be inebriated, but five caskets of cheap wine were enough to even knock me down. I lost Bowen after leaving the pier and wandered my way out of the lantern parade and back into the main city square. When he found me, I was vomiting my innards into the river.

"Get a warm bath and rest immediately," he ordered. "You've drunk enough wine to kill a horse."

"I've good alcohol tolerance," I slurred.

My head pounded, and I had trouble staying upright. Everything was fuzzy and shaking like a man trapped outside during winter. For some reason, Bowen had four eyes. I didn't remember him having four eyes. Wait... I wasn't sure if humans had two or four eyes. Maybe it was four.

"Watch the steps!" He caught my arm, holding me steady as I teetered to the right.

I poked him in the chest. "I'm trying."

He rolled his eyes, sighed, and swept me into his arms.

I giggled. It was like being carried by Zhenjin as we went past the dandelion fields. He called them weeds, but they didn't look like weeds. They were so soft... and so fluffy.

"You're going to rue your actions tomorrow morning." The second prince shook his head as he entered my bedchambers.

Bowen stank of sweat, smoke, and incense, but I was too tired to complain.

He carried me to my chambers, kicked the door open, and entered.

Bowen would have placed me on the bed, but Wulin was sitting there, his face dark.

"Well," Bowen said. "What a pleasant surprise."

Wulin drew to his feet. He was half a head taller than Bowen, and he stared him down.

"Oh, hi there." I giggled.

Wulin didn't smile. Instead, he glared at his brother. "Where did you take Qara?"

"I didn't take her anywhere," Bowen scoffed. "She ran out of the palace of her own accord. She's not your pet. Wherever she goes is none of your business."

Wulin sized Bowen up, nostrils flaring.

"She's my escort. Wherever she goes, I must know."

Bowen ignored him and set me down on the bed, making sure my head was comfortably nestled on the pillow.