Chapter Twenty-Five

"The Red Child was a fearless demon and can be said to be the evil counterpart of Nezha

"The Red Child was a fearless demon and can be said to be the evil counterpart of Nezha. He rides wheels of fire and breathes the flames of three realms that cannot be extinguished even by the water of the Four Seas. It was no wonder the Iron Princess refused to lend Wukong her Plantain Fan, for he murdered her son."

The Red Child—The Tome of Evil

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

A thousand emotions roiled within me—betrayal, anger, and ultimately, confusion.

I had come to the Jade Palace with hopes of freeing my family but walked into an intricate web of internal affairs and plots. If I stayed with Wulin, I could end slavery. Children, especially little girls, wouldn't have to suffer anymore. The rotten marketplace where humans were auctioned off like property would be torn down, brothels burned into ashes, and the vile creatures involved in selling people would face justice. People like Miya wouldn't have to die for an arbitrary sense of honor and justice.

All of those could be accomplished, at the expense of Zichuan Theater.

Staring at myself in the mirror as Ara, my new handmaiden, bustled around me, adding more silver pins into my hair and touching up my makeup, I felt more ashamed than ever. I could leave and never come back. I had a thousand faces I could change into. No one could catch me.

Yet, I was still here at the crown prince's side on my own selfish quest.

Three months was almost over. Our wedding was to take place before the trial, but the coronation would come after. If I killed Wulin before the trial, I would not be crowned Empress. But if I killed Wulin, I'd be able to free Zichuan Theater, but I'd still be a powerless crown princess.

"You're all set, my lady," Ara said, jerking me from my thoughts. "My, aren't you stunning!"

Even the gorgeous dress I was wearing failed to lift my spirits. It was a simple dress of spun silver threads and sapphires that glowed like a million luminescent eyes. One of the Imperial Tailor's best examples of his handiwork.

I turned to Wanru. "Come with me. I want you by my side."

"Are you sure?" Wanru asked. "I doubt Shila would be too happy to see me with you."

"Don't worry about Shila. I'll protect you." I nodded at Ara. "You may leave now."

"Have fun at the banquet, my lady." Ara curtsied and left.

Wulin came into my chamber minutes later garbed in a splendid robe of black embroidered with dancing silver cranes. His eyes twinkled. "Are you ready?"

I nodded and placed my hand in his offered one. "Wanru is coming with me."

"Are you hoping her presence will provoke Shila?" he asked. "If so, you're in for a treat."