Chapter Twenty-Seven

"None can escape the justice of the High Immortals, just as none can break a promise

"None can escape the justice of the High Immortals, just as none can break a promise. Can Nü was found dead, wrapped around the very horse she promised to marry and later skinned, and hung from a tree."

The Silk Lady—The Tome of Evil

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

The morning before our wedding, I ordered Eunuch Gui to Wulin's hall. Wulin had gone to visit the sick Emperor and promised he would be back by nightfall.

I sat on Wulin's throne, my gold circlet on my head. Wulin had it forged for me to mark my status as the crown princess. It wasn't as ornate as his, and I wasn't allowed to wear the feather-style of Qiliu court until I was married into the household. I was dressed in the richest of gowns and the most splendid of jewelry. If I was going to see the man who destroyed my life, I would do it in my finest.

Gui entered the hall, a look of confusion on his face. If I were him, I too would be confused. I was the crown princess, a new addition to the court with no relations to the Imperial family until now. I had never summoned him until now.

"My lady," he said in his oily voice. "How may I be of service?"

"Look at me," I said.

Gui looked up and stared at me.

"Tell me what you see."

The eunuch frowned. "Am I supposed to see something apart from the future Empress, your Highness?"

I smiled, reached for the tiny seams of Qara's face, and removed it.

His widened, and he stumbled backward, stubby fingers forming warding symbols in the air. If he had chicken blood, he'd had grabbed it and splashed me with it, for High Demons were rumored to fear chicken blood.

"High Demon," he whispered. "Be gone!"

"My name is Sarna Jinyu," I said. "Facechanger of Zichuan Theater. I am here to tell you I will be delivering my part of the bargain."

It took Gui a few moments to process the fact that I wasn't a High Demon, but the theater girl he had struck a bargain with three months ago.

"Ah," he said seedily. "It seems that you have found the path of the High Immortals. I thought you'd fail. It was a close to impossible mission."

"Meet me in the garden outside the Pearl Hall after the Imperial wedding," I said. "Whatever was bargained, I shall deliver."

Gui bowed. "Our paths will cross again very soon. I look forward to the grand finale, your Highness." And he left.

An interesting choice of words. I leaned against the soft back of the throne. Gui was right. Ending the crown prince also marked the end of my assignment. I could finally shed the skins I'd been wearing for so long and reunite with the people I loved.