Chapter Seventeen

I wake up next morning, Amethyst and I in a heap.  I take a look out the window and am surprised by what I see.  A large lake, vast and watery sparkles against the horizon.  "Look at this Amethyst,"  I whisper to the disheveled little girl.

"Whoa…" She peers over the window pane.  "That's the ocean?"

"No, the ocean is much, much bigger."

This makes her eyes grow even wider.  "It's...wonderful!"  She giggles. 

I gently smooth down her hair as she beams at me.  "How much longer until we get to the city?"

"About six hours."

She frowns. 

"We'll make stops though, to pick up more people.  And look at the view; there's going to be a lot to look at!"  I reply.  "Now, would you like something to eat?"

"Yes!"  She smiles. 

I dig into my bag and pull out a cracker.  I hand it to her along with a handful of berries we picked on the trail to the town.  She quickly partakes in the food and thanks me.  I take a cracker myself, and not one to like blueberries, I opt for the plain cracker instead.  I give Amethyst her canteen and let her finish her food.

"Would you girls like any of this?"  Semma turns around.

"Oh, good morning Semma,"  I turn to Amethyst.  "Sagie, say hello to the lady."
"Good morning," She feigns shyness and nibbles on her breakfast. 

Semma gestures toward a cup of liquid.  "I made this broth for the trip here, and since I'm getting off the bus today, I'm going to have extra.  Would you girls like some?"

"Oh, no ma'am, we couldn't,"  I say.

"I insist.  I would hate to have it go to waste,"  She replies with a smile. 

"Well, okay, if you're sure…"  I stand and stretch over the few seats between us a carefully take the cup.  I sit back down.

"Here, you want some?"  I offer it to Amethyst, who nods.  She takes the soup and takes a few sips and smiles.

"This is really yummy!"  She turns to Semma and grins.

"It's made from turkey and celery.  My family loves it at home.  I'm sorry it's not hot, dear."

"S'okay,"  Amethyst downs the entire cup before I get a taste.

I laugh at her appetite, which seems to always grow.  I hand the emptied cup back to Semma as she gives me a knowing glance. 

"My children eat that way, but they're still thin as pencils,"  Semma laughs.  I see her reach into her bag and pull out a bottle.  She then hands it to the child and he begins his own breakfast.