4. CONSTANT

4| constant

"I sat through the tears and held your hand, listened to the pain, didn't need to understand. I will always walk towards you when others turned away. I will let you talk about your loved ones, as I will always stay. Whether crying or laughing, I'll be a true friend of yours from the start. Because of love, you will always be in my heart."
- Anonymous.

※※※※

A bored expression is plastered on my face as I pressed the same button on the television remote repeatedly, jumping from channel to channel as I tried to find and settle in to watch a good movie or a show which suits with my eaten strawberry cheesake to go with it at the moment, while I sat cross-legged on the sofa, across from the television with my refreshing watermelon juice set on the small table in front of me. Muttering all by myself that there seems to be no any good shows at this time of the evening, I decided to be Daddy for a while and settled in to watch the news, which is rare of me to do so, throwing the remote at the far end of this comfortable double seated couch while I kept eating on my cheesecake.

Sometimes, I just don't understand what's so entertaining about watching the news as I just stared at the news reporter on the screen, talking as if she's this non-stop talking robot who is programmed with information about other people's occurrence in their lives. Tilting my head a bit as I stared at the woman- news reporter, I slowly looked down at her outfit when the clip changes which makes me tsk in annoyance, to watch a pair of twin brothers from Taiwan, who are crossing the street without turning left nor right, which causes them to get hit by an upcoming bus and I hissed shortly at that even when I could only care less. After that, the news reporter speaks about a different story, about a billionaire named Richmond Valentine in which again, the clip changes to see a man wearing glasses and a cap, with a woman just beside him, who just stands there in silence.

"In celebrity news, the Richmond Valentine movie premiered in Hollywood last night. The story of the internet billionaires rise to power is expected to be this award season's hot ticket.."

"That's my girl." Daddy says as he nears me from behind when he finds me watching the news right now, though I spoke up before he can continue.

"There's nothing to watch. Doesn't mean I want to watch this."

I sighed and leaned back in my seat as Daddy starts to make his way to sit next to me on the double seated couch when I caught him holding my tablet which I reached out to retrieve it when he easily prevents me from doing so.

"Careful, sweetheart, or you'll drop the cake." He advises me.

"This cake is too sweet." I commented as he swipes on some things on my tablet as if it's his. "I prefer that cheese mixed with custard from last week."

"You're too sweet." He corrects me as I gave him a look at that and shows me the screen of my tablet that I had saved the copied documented file of Gary Unwin's biography, and I tsked at the fact that Daddy finds out.

"Yeah, about that.." I trailed off as he examines the information. "..at least he has a baby sister who loves him, right? Even though his Dad is.."

"..he's nothing like him." Daddy states, referring to Lee Unwin.

"Look, can we not.. right now? I can't talk about your chosen bitter-lifed candidate while I'm eating a sweet-coated strawberry cheesecake." I sighed.

He stays silent at that while I continued eating the strawberry cheesecake, eyes on the television screen which still shows the news, as Daddy keeps pressing and swiping and scrolling some things on my tablet while I resisted the urge of my itching eye to crowd up into his personal space and peek in. Not for long, sounds are heard from the electronic device, which I slowly turned to look, though sees nothing on the screen but a picture and audio of Eggsy on the other line, as we can only listen what he's doing at the moment through that stuck chip at the back of his shoulder, and Daddy then decreases the volume of the television to let us listen to Eggsy clearly.