7. DEVOTION

7| devotion

"There were things I wanted to tell him. But I knew they would hurt him. So I buried them, and let them hurt me."
- Jonathan Safran Foer.

While waiting for Merlin to arrive, I swiped and pressed on some things on my tablet as I sipped on my coffee which I bought from Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf before going to the tailor shop which leads to HQ. Meanwhile, Merlin is actually asking some workers to gather the puppies ready for the recruits before he makes it up here where we will wait for the recruits to arrive. As for Daddy, he is going to confront Professor James Arnold himself at Imperial College about who kidnapped him and why they let him go. Though I suspect that American man and woman, who unwelcomedly came to that hut after everybody in that place is killed, excluding the professor.

After I pressed on one button on the tablet, the live recording then starts which I have access to watch it due to Daddy wearing the glasses. Not for long after that, Merlin finally arrives as he enters the room and calls out to me, while I just raised my eyebrows at him, and he responds by moving to sit next to me on the double seated couch. I handed him my cup of halfway finished coffee and he sips on it with his eyes then trained on my tablet.

"He's still waiting." I stated with a sigh.

"Be patient." Merlin advises me as Daddy stares at the explanation on the chalkboard which is not erased.

"Dad, hey." I called out to him to get him talking only for him to stay silent in the empty classroom before I turned to Merlin. "How's the puppies?"

"Ready." He replies and I sighed at the thought of my puppy.

"Katherine." Daddy calls out to me and I hummed in response. "Did you even listen to the voice mails I sent you last night?"

"No." I scoffed lightly and Merlin turns to me at that. "No, I mean.. in a good way. I mean, no because- no, not the boring ones, Dad. No offense."

"Hello." We all then remained silent when we heard the professor's voice as he just came into the room. "Can I help you?"

"Yes, I have a question about anthropogenic force." Daddy claims.

"Oh. Really? It's actually quite fascinating." Arnold replies as he descends the stairs in the middle of his classroom, but Daddy quickly holds onto his ear, twisting it which obviously leaves the professor struggling.

"My colleague died trying to rescue you and I'm sure you saw how well trained he was, so I suggest you tell me who kidnapped you and why they let you go." Daddy confronts him as I concentrated on Arnold's answer.

"I have no idea what you're talking-"

Though he gets cuts off when he earns a slap across his face for it.

"I'm not supposed to say it, but it was-"

"Something's wrong." I spoke up when a beeping sound is heard from the professor as if he is a ticking time bomb while he starts to scream in pain.

"Oh, for God's sake, I've barely touched you. Man up-"

Daddy stops mid-sentence when the professor's head unbelievably blows up, killing him in the process and his blood covers the screen- which means Daddy's face is covered with the disgusting substance, causing me to form a look while Merlin sets the cup of coffee down on the table in front of us. Despite the vision being unclear, I still spoke up since Daddy can still listen.

"Dad? Daddy? Are you okay?"

Though he doesn't respond when we heard a few people entering the room due to the noise heard earlier before we then saw a little bit of a clear image of Daddy quickly running out a window of the classroom when the room blows up which causes me to scream in shock because he used the hand grenade on them while he escaped, and I then kept speaking to him, hoping that he's alright, with no response in return which makes me start to cry.