Part 7

Lisa and Kenny text back and forth for the rest of the day on Sunday. She discovered that Kenny worked as a short haul truck driver. Since she couldn't text while driving, she didn't reply often. They ended the day with an open-ended text, leaving potential for continuing in the morning. When morning came, the lawyer found herself on the phone at 6:30am with a panicked client. That set the tone for her day and she didn't stop rushing until well past 5:30 that evening.

As she finally wrapped up her day, she thought about Kenny and wondered if the blond had noticed that she hadn't heard from her all day. She checked her phone and didn't see any texts waiting for her. She placed the phone back in her purse, planning to wait until she got home to try and contact the girl. As she made her way outside the building she was surprised to find the object of her thoughts standing on the sidewalk.

"Hi!" she greeted Kenny, "What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to see you," she replied, "I thought you might want to see me too."

"I do," Lisa exclaimed, "I'm really glad you came."

"Do you want to grab some dinner or something?" she invited.

"Yeah, you know why don't you come over?" Lisa suggested, "We can make dinner. I've even got your drink." Kenny let out a laugh at this.

"Taken up whisky drinking, have you?" she asked.

"Its for special occasions. Like this one," Lisa told her. "Come on. My car is this way." They started for the parking garage together. "Did you run here?"

"No, I got a ride from a friend of mine,' she told her, "I don't usually like to do that. But I wanted to catch you."

"You don't like getting rides from people?"

"No," Kenny answered, "Not having a car is my choice. I like walking. Makes life seem a little slower. Gives you time to think and you have to pick and choose what's necessary and what's not. You can't just pack everything that you want in because you've got a car to rush around in."

"That sounds really nice, actually," Lisa said, "My life would never allow it. I spend at least twelve hours a day rushing everywhere."

"Well you got a nice important job," she responded, "I imagine a lot of people need you."

"I don't know about need," Lisa said, "Divorce isn't usually necessary. It's mostly a want."

"Does that bring you down?" Kenny inquired, "Seeing marriages end all the time?"

"Only sometimes," she replied, "If it's just two spoiled adults playing the blame game I couldn't care less. When there's kids involved, then it gets sad. Mom and dad hate each other, but the kids don't hate anyone. They're just along for the ride until they're forced to choose sides. And eventually they're all forced to choose."

"Why divorce?" Kenny asked, "There are plenty of different types of lawyers."

"It just happened," Lisa told her, "I don't take a lot of risks. This path seemed like the obvious choice. Good pay, recession proof, it gave me the independence in my life that I wanted. There was no reason not to do this."

"If you like sure things so much then you've got to know I'm not a good idea," Kenny said. Lisa stopped their walking and they turned to face each other.

"I don't know that," Lisa argued.

"I won't give you a guarantee," Kenny responded, "I can't."

"I know this is a little out of my character," she replied, "I've definitely thought of that. For some reason I don't need any guarantee."