Part 8

"What are you doing?" was the first thing Lisa heard when she answered Kenny's phone call.

"I'm in the grocery store," Lisa answered, unable to hold in her smile at the sound of the woman's voice, "You?"

"I was training a new driver today," she shared, "He was all scared and slow so we just now finished. What are you doing later?"

"I'm going to make some dinner and then go over the Carson contracts," Lisa said.

"Want some company?" Kenny offered, "I'll make sure you don't get distracted."

"That is a lie," Lisa retorted, "You will do the exact opposite and I'm on a deadline."

"Fair," Kenny chuckled, "I'll leave you alone then."

"I'm glad you called actually," Lisa said, "I've been meaning to ask you something. But I'm not sure if it's too soon in our... whatever this is."

"You're not trying to put me on your Instagram, are you?" the blond joked.

"Absolutely not," Lisa teased right back, "I can't have everyone thinking I'm unavailable." Kenny laughed good naturedly.

"What's up?" Kenny inquired.

"I have a work dinner tomorrow night and it would be considerably less boring if I had an interesting plus one," Lisa stated.

"I don't know," Kenny replied, making Lisa's heart tighten with anticipation for her answer, "It's pretty short notice. Jason might not be available."

"Very funny," Lisa scolded, "I meant you, you jerk. Unless a month is way too soon to ask you to dress up for me."

"Has it really been a month?" Kenny asked.

"More or less," Lisa confirmed loosely. In fact, it had been more like six weeks. An amazing six weeks. Lisa wouldn't say things were going slowly, but it was definitely casual. The two never made another date before the present one ended, and nothing they did had become routine yet. Somehow, Lisa found a certain comfort in the lack of pressure. Just knowing their only obligation was to do whatever they wanted when they wanted was a new and exciting way of dating for Lisa. She did, however, have one complaint. She had never once seen Kenny during the day. Her attempts at getting the blond to stay the night were always unsuccessful, and if she did stay, she was gone before Lisa woke up.

"I'd be more than honored to go with you," Kenny's answer broke her train of thought, "But for the record, it's always too soon to dress up."

"Too bad you already said yes," Lisa exclaimed quickly, "Wear your jacket and tie from Dalton's ok? I'll pick you up at 6:30."

"Great! I'll see you then."
~
At about 7:15 Lisa and Kenny were parking outside of The Benson Hotel, where Lisa's company dinner was being held. As they exited the car, Lisa could feel Kenny's eyes on her. She caught the woman's gaze and couldn't help the blush that crept up her cheeks.

"I'm sorry," Kenny stated, "I don't mean to stare. You just look absolutely gorgeous."

"Thank you," the lawyer replied, trying her best to accept the compliment gracefully.

"Well," Kenny began, offering Lisa her arm, "Shall we?"

"Yes," she said, taking the woman's arm, "We shall."

"So, is there anything I should know to survive in here tonight?" Kenny asked.

"You're probably not going to get anywhere by singing about taking women's clothes off," Lisa answered.

"Trust me, I learned my lesson the first time I tried that in one of these fancy joints," Kenny said.

"You'll be fine," Lisa assured her, "I wouldn't have brought you here if I didn't think you could hold your own."