Chapter Six

[ VI ] LOST WITHOUT YOU - HALF GIRLFRIEND
SINCE I'VE SEPARATED FROM YOU MY PATHS HAVE BECOME UPSET.

❝K-- Kavya❞ Varun stammers.

He could feel his throat becoming drier by the second. It was as if mentioning her name had brought him back into his senses. As if just saying her name once had taken his drunken state back to sober.

❝My little-- my little sister❞ Varun adds with a shaky voice.

Alia could feel her heart practically shattering beneath her chest hearing the shake in Varuns voice and seeing the tears streaming down his face.

❝She meant everything to me❞ he comments in a quiet, faint voice.

❝What-- what happened to her, Varun?❞ Alia questions trying her best not to stammer, but in vain. She could feel tears rolling down her cheeks at this point.

❝I had just been told that I was going to be starring in my debut film. Me and Kavya were so-- were so excited. We decided to go out to celebrate. It was-- it was all my fault!❞ Varun says in a fast voice. He was panting after he finished his sentence, Alia looking at him holding a worried expression on her face.

❝Varun?❞ Alia comments with her angelic voice. Her mentioning his name wasn't to get his attention, but was to calm him. A way to tell him to calm his breathing. Varun nods faintly as a response, attempting to calm himself before continuing.

❝I was driving, everything was perfectly fine, but then--❞ Varun inhales and exhales a deep breath as he closes his eyes.

Alia moves her hand around under the bed sheets in attempt to find Varuns hand. She then interwinds her fingers with Varuns, squeezing hold of his hand. The warmth of her hand bringing him back into reality as he opens his eyes again. He turns his head in the direction Alia was laying.

❝But then a car came out of-- out of nowhere and hit the side of our car, the side Kavya was-- Kavya was seated. I managed to get lucky, I only bumped my head causing a bruise, but Kavya . . .❞ Varun stutters as tears continue to flow down his cheeks.

Images of the scene playing in his mind, images that have been taunting him for six years.

❝I panicked. I couldn't think, I couldn't speak, I couldn't even move. I didn't want to believe that what was happening was real, I wanted to believe that-- that it was just a nightmare❞ Varun spoke weakly. ❝But it wasn't a nightmare. It was real.❞

Varuns lips began to quiver and his hands began to shake. An image of his younger sister at the scene of the horrific accident playing in his mind. Alia could feel his pain, she could see the fear in his eyes.

She squeezes his hand tighter. ❝Varun, you don't have to tell me❞ Alia tells him with a wobble in her voice and tears streaming down her cheeks. She couldn't contain her emotions any longer. Seeing Varuns pain, was causing her pain. Varun shakes his head in disagreement.

❝No, Alia. I have to tell you❞ Varun states, this time Alia doesn't attempt to stop him. She just stares into Varuns eyes. His eyes held so much pain, she couldn't find the words to explain the emotions written in them. She faintly nods at him before he continues.