3

Huey's POV

I ended up staying in my quiet hallway for the rest of lunch. Miss. Mack won't be mad, I'll just tell her some lie about me being sick. I'm not the best at lying but I'll try. I haven't seen Liam since his little "outburst" and to be honest I don't get it, how are gay people disgusting? What's wrong with them? What's wrong with being different? I honestly don't know but Liam seems to. He's so weird, it's like something changed with him over the summer and I can't quite get it yet. I have my next class with him too so hopefully I'll be able to look over and see what could really be the issue. I also heard that our science teacher is giving out the first assignment of the year today. I'm not sure if we are supposed to have partners or be independent, all I ask for is that I don't have to work with someone. I always end up doing everything myself, last time I worked with a group of people let's just say that I got in trouble for 'not sharing the work' so stupid right?

As I walk to my third class I notice that Liam is leaning against some girls locker. 

Oh god it's the girl from before just leave the area Huey, go to class and sit at the back. Do not look at the beautiful boy with the snob bitchWait did I just say "beautiful"?

My mind won't stop going away to a place I call uncertainty. I have no clue what this is and I don't even know why I keep saying nice things about the person who hates me. I grab a seat at the back and let class start. Mr. Wing starts talking while I zone out for the res on the class. During the end of the period I heard one word that took me out of my daze.

"Assignments!" I looked towards the front to see Mr. Wing all excited.  "I am giving you guys your first assignment of the year and the topic can be anything you'd like. It just has to do with either global warming, natural disasters, or the cycle of life. This is a very open assignment and is worth 15% of your total grade." Everyone groaned. I looked over to see that Liam isn't even here.  I saw him outside but I guess he skipped. What's new right? "You will be working in pairs but I'll be choosing your partners." Everyone groaned again. I heard names being called and then I hear mine.

"Huey and...hold on I don't think I gave you a partner." He scanned through a bunch of papers. He was about to speak when someone entered the classroom abruptly. It was Liam. He sat down with an emotionless face, was something wrong? I tried to look away and not feel concerned for the boy who tormented me everyday, but it was difficult. I really think I like him. I mean his hair, his smile, his laugh, his everything. He may be mean but I'd be lying if I said I didn't like it a bit. Oops?

"Oh Liam um well since your marks aren't the greatest and Huey doesn't have a partner due to my mistake, you guys will be partners!" Everyone knew this was a bad idea but I didn't see Liam's usual smirk. I'll make sure to ask him what's wrong, I don't care if he treats me badly. He can punch me for all I care, if it makes him feel better I'll donate my whole body. Wow that sounds creepy, yeah I probably like him.

"Ok class time to-" He was cut off by the PA system. The principle began speaking. "Sorry for the interruption students and teachers. We have just been told some news about a fellow student and teacher that doesn't seem so good. Ms. Peckers and Sarah Peckers have sadly passed away...once again I am sorry for your loss. Due to this sudden occurrence the day will be cut short. No one has a fourth class today, Thank you." My classmates started to cry, personally I never knew either of those people. All I knew was that Ms. Peckers was the art teacher, she was also one of the most liked teachers around. 

As I looked around I noticed Liam getting up so I followed in hopes to ask him what was wrong but soon crashed into something. When I looked up it was Liam. I guess looking at the ground all the time isn't a good idea.

"Why are you following me?!" He may be mad right now, but I know it's not because of me, so I kept calm.

"I wanted you ask you if you were okay." I stared at my hand nervously. I heard no reply so I looked up, he had one single tear rolling down his face.

"yeah, I'm fine." He turned and walked away without giving me any type of insult, he did absolutely nothing. Progress! Bad time I know.
I then followed him to the back of the school. He reached his locker and thats when I decided to stand closely beside him. "Why are you following me you f-fag." Did he just stutter?

"Actually I'm not too sure what I am at the moment but anyways I know you're not fine so I'm here to talk about it." He looked at me with more tears prickling his eyes.

"I don't need to talk...I'm fine." He put his books away and closed his locker.

"We still have that project to work on...if you're not feeling up to it I-I could do it myself." He turned around and approached me.

"We can work on it at my place. Just don't talk about Sarah a-and Ms. P. once we get there." He looked at me with hope. I quickly nodded and followed him to his car, we then drove off. I was curious about something so I spoke up.

"I know this isn't the time but before we get to your house I uh have a question." His grip on the steering wheel tightened.
"Sure, ask away."

"What's wrong? Why are you sad? Why didn't you punch me?" He chuckled to himself, aw that was so cute! I'm accepting the idea of being bi, although I don't like girls so maybe I'm gay? I mean they're okay looking but I'm not emotionally interested in them.  I don't know but I'm one of those.

"That wasn't a question, it was three questions." I looked over to see him smiling slightly.

"Just answer them, please." He raised his eyebrows and began to speak.

"Well Sarah was my cousin and Ms. P. was my aunt but I always saw her as a motherly figure because mine doesn't really like me too much. I'm a bit sad because they meant a lot to me. Also I don't know why I didn't punch you, it just didn't seem like the right time. I was just not in the mood." He looked over at me and caught me staring, I quickly turned away with pink spreading over my face, it never ends.

finally we reached his house and started to work on the project. There wasn't much conversation but just being around him made me happy.