Bloody Rampage: Part 1

Sat framed in the window frame, I enjoyed that moment of peace; such feelings were rare for me these days, I was always in a constant state of conflict with myself. I had chosen to get away from the hustle and bustle of London's streets and spend some time trying to reconnect with the vampire within, which sounds pretty laughable now that I think about it. But the appeal of clear waters and sandy beaches was too tempting.

For the past ten years I have spent most of my days brooding over the uncertainty of my past. When I made the decision to leave my mentor Gerard fifty years ago I made claims of needing to see and experience the world; to try and find my place. He didn't try to stop me, in fact he encouraged the idea. He told me that if there was any chance of me finding answers to my many, many questions I was better off out in the world.

From behind me I could hear the quiet rustling of sheets.

"I know you're awake." I turned to face the source of my most current dilemma.

"I suppose it was foolish to pretend otherwise."

"There are a number of things I could think of which could better earn you the title of 'foolish'." Knowing very well what I was insinuating with my words, he sighed in frustration. We had been back and forth on the same topic for a couple weeks now and with no agreement in sight. Taking a deep breath I tried to clear my thoughts. With my heightened senses I could smell the ocean breeze as though I was standing right there on the shore. Looking out to the coast I was grateful for my senses as tonight that's all I had to rely on to see
the ocean, as the shoreline was shrouded in mist.

"I like nights like this." Hearing my choice of words, I internally scoffed at myself and my terrible attempt to change the topic. I'm almost certain
no amount of time will ever make discussing the weather a good transitional topic. Reaching for my goblet of wine I took a healthy sip, the earthy metallic taste of the wine extremely soothing to my palate but unfortunately not my mood.

I could feel as he sat up in the bed to brace himself against the wall behind his head.

"I find it cold and depressing." His reply was short and seemingly closed off, expecting another long discussion about our current status I brought the goblet to my lips and drank the remaining contents.

"I guess it's normal for vampires to love the dark, cold, mysterious nights." He continued his voice calmer, less defensive, which told me we may just avoid the impending fight.

"Yes, we do have our stereotypes, don't we?" I turned and smiled at him.

Nikolaos, or Nikos as known by most, became my synodeía, who is an escort of sorts, when I arrived to the Greek island four months ago, as a guest of Kallistos Diakos. Since then we have formed a relationship beyond the usual behaviour of the other guests and their respective escorts.

Kallistos on the other hand, I met twenty-years prior in London. He was an audacious man that most detested especially within the society circles of London but I suppose that was what I loved about him. He ate and drank like a god; we would sit and have lengthy discussions, mostly about him and his lascivious lifestyle but you couldn't expect any less from a Greek. He always had the most delicious stories to tell and I was always willing to listen, partly because with my unknown past I hadn't much to contribute myself. Needless to say when he invited me to his abode here on the island of Samothrace I was obliged to accept.

It was not my first visit to the island, though it was the first visit I chose to remain indefinitely due to the fact that I was unsure of where my life was going or simply what to do with it.

At first when Kallistos offered Nikos to me I was less inclined to accept, in my eyes it was a glorified form of slavery and worse an enslavement that placed humans at the mercy of vampires. It wasn't long though until I saw reason. On such a small and scarcely inhabited island our food supply was limited, Kallistos made a calculated risk to employ a few chosen humans to serve his guests. He had the caution to never have too many vampires staying at his home at any given time but that did nothing to stop the rumours, it was after all a small fishing village. The rumours did spread beyond the island's shores but limited to the neighbouring islands. Word had gotten out that there was work on the island, though the type of work was never explicitly stated, it was desperate times which meant people were open to turning a blind eye.