Bloody Rampage: Part 4

As I made my way back downstairs, I reflected on the little information I gained from Timon, the servant who conveyed the message of Nikos' death. The most important question to know was how he died and what evidence was there that it was a vampire.

Kallistos had chosen to not return to the party with me. As Nikos was in his employ, he felt responsible to see to the matter first-hand and so left to make the necessary arrangements which included informing his family. This of course meant that he would have to leave the island and would likely not return until tomorrow evening.

Miklos had been fully briefed on the situation and told to see to my needs, I was also assigned two guards. At first I refused to be shadowed but he insisted that with a matter so delicate he felt it necessary to secure extra protection. Knowing I would not let things escalate, I simply agreed so that he could move on to his business.

The festivities had gained some momentum during my brief absence. Dr. Julian was currently seated on a chaise being entertained by two belly dancers while his escort provided an open vein. Normally I would overlook others and feeding habits but tonight I needed to observe every aspect of their behaviour. Samantha for example it was clear she was a heavy and slightly sloppy drinker; stains of blood droplets could be seen along the sides of her mouth. As if sensing my disgusted thoughts she looked over to where I stood. Reaching for a cloth she cleansed herself before she cantered her way towards me.

"Miss Griffin, shall I call you Rebekah, I mean we are practically old friends here." Between the disdain I had for her and her snaky smile it was almost physically impossible for me to maintain my composure.

"Why of course Samantha." Her blond curls bounced as she jumped up and down in glee. Her youthful features glowed as she did, I was not much older than I was, in respect to appearance but as a vampire she was practically a new-born. When our paths had crossed, four years ago in London, Samantha Picard was still very much human. It was her first time out in society, fresh meat Kallistos and I would often jest about. Her company however was not the best. She met another vampire, Lady Rothweil, who took her under her wing during that season; it was unclear as to whether her transformation was willing or not. But it was clear that she had a made peace with her new existence.

"So between us friends tell me what all that commotion was about?" Entwining our arms she led me over to where she preciously sat.

I was slowly discovering that playing nice was not going to be an easy feat for me. My mentor Gerard was a bit of a recluse to therefore he did not entertain much so there was never the need to perfect the art or better the deception of conversation. Aside from the fact that Gerard was a recluse he was also very apprehensive about me being around other vampires due to my unique and unexplainable capabilities.

"Ari here was just saying that the servants have been sworn to secrecy about the whole matter, which tells me it must be the juiciest bit of news to reach this island." She rejoiced. The fact that she was clueless on the seriousness of the issue and knew not how insolent and distasteful her words were did nothing for my nerves. Thankfully a boisterous laughter from across the room reminded me that my attention was needed elsewhere.

"You must excuse me I need to see to a matter on behalf of Kallistos."

"Of course, of course perhaps soon we can have tea and catch up on the past four years." The sheer degree of her saccharine smile actually had me concerned for the health of her teeth.

"We shall see." I answered before I darted off.

From the corner of my eye I could see Dr Julian glance in my direction, which was currently a direct path to Mr and Mrs Stephanov. The Russian couple was unlike any pair I'd ever met. During the limited time I spent in their company I was overwhelmed with their salacious tendencies but more importantly their open invitation to their bed.

"Oleysa dorogaya, we have company." Alexei beamed. Doing my very best to ignore the fact that his hand was currently underneath his escort tunic as well as her writhing and breathy moans, while his wife drank from her neck.

"Miss Griffin." Olesya's accent was a lot thicker than her husband but Kallistos explained that Alexei spent many years living in England before he met his wife. "We are so pleased you could join us, please sit."

"Can we offer you anything?" As Alexei asked, his wife snapped her fingers and her own male escort moved from his position to kneel in front of me, head tilted to the side.

"Hmm...no thank you, I'm quite satisfied."

"I guarantee you that if you were to join our celebrations you would be more than just satisfied." Choosing to breeze pass his insinuation, I maintained my course of action.

Timon, though hadn't much facts about what happened to Nikos, he was very good at being invisible and therefore picked up sensitive information everywhere. And he mentioned to me that Nikos was rumoured to have been meeting with another vampire secretly. In that moment I certainly felt betrayed but I soon rationalised that it was not place to dictate how he lived his life. But most important I valued him as a person, a friend and that meant I would do my best to avenge his death.

And right now my suspect number one was the russet-haired ballerina currently seducing me with her eyes.

They arrived on the island two weeks before I did and it was later I found out that upon arrival they had requested, practically demanded to have Nikos as one of their escorts. Kallistos confessed that they attempted to bribe both him and Nikos. However, Kallistos was careful and considerate not only of his guests but the escorts in his employ. He ensured that the pairing was amiable for both vampire and human; he or she wasn't simply to be a living blood bag but a companion that was to fulfil not only cravings, carnal or otherwise but also one's intellect.

Despite the fact that Kallistos was clear on Nikos being paired with me and even well after my arrival, I would often find her watching Nikos and I.

"I recently decided that I needed to be more hospitable to everyone. From what I gather we are all planning to remain here for an undetermined length of time. So perhaps it's time to become, friends."

"Yes, yes. This is a lovely idea." Oleysa leaned over and clasped my hands in hers, "I just know we are going to get along fine."

"Agreed. So tell me how you spend your time here on the island. Like today for example." Replaying my words it was evident that I was lacking tact. Fearing they might have come across too blunt causing them to become wary of my intent I attempted to alleviate any suspicions, I gave the most genuine smile I could and for added measure I leant down and picked grape from the bunch Olesya was currently feeding her husband. I was sure to slow my movements to a sultry degree, which seem to have worked in distracting them.

"We spent some time by the cove on the south side of the island. It is quite a secluded spot, wonderful for one to get into much mischief." Alexei joked.

As I listened to Oleysa giggle at her husband's answer, I could feel myself snap. All this pretentious behaviour was already exhausting. They had to be more efficient ways to get information.

"Alexei, may I steal your wife for a moment. I have recently procured a few new dresses and I am not sure about them, I would love to get your opinion. I do adore your sense of style." This conversation was to be my final act in this charade.

"That sounds like a lovely way for you ladies to bond." Deterring my impulse to roll my eyes at his emphasis on the word bond, I smiled and nodded in agreement.

"In that case I would be delighted."

Keeping up the pretence a little longer I suggested we take a jug of wine with us and a few nibbles. I declined the help of both her escort and another servant, I needed her alone.

The closer we got to my quarters the more stressed my nerves were. This was a very dangerous game and I was about to cross a serious line. As I gripped the handle of my door, I knew there was no coming from this.

I knew the vampire I needed to become.