Bloody Rampage: Part 2

In the morning, Nikos left to his second occupation, like most men on the island, he worked by the docks and sometimes took boats out for fishing. Our morning farewells were usually short and far from special as he spent most nights in my bed.

Today was no different.

Due to a thoughtful design, we were able to move about the Villa during the daytime. As I roamed the hallways I came across a few surprised workers, it was not common to see our kind awake at this time. Out of politeness and respect they acknowledged me with a nod but were quick to keep their heads down and busied themselves in preparation for tonight's feast. Tonight was another of one of Kallistos celebration; his incessant need to celebrate every mundane anniversary, for example tonight's celebration is in honour of the first time he drank from a man. All these events could be exhausting but seeing as I was practically a squatter I held my tongue, smiled and enjoyed merriment.

I came across Kallistos personal butler, Miklos, I would better describe him as Kallistos second-in-command. Miklos often sought to the household in Kallistos absence and usually kept the staff in check. Essentially, if you needed anything he was the man to see, of course that was also due to the fact that he was the only one, to my knowledge, who spoke clear English.

"Ms Griffin, is anything the matter?"

"No nothing is wrong I only came to inquire if you heard any news on my package?"

"Oh yes, it arrived this morning. Shall I have someone deliver it to your room now?

"Please. I'm hoping to wear a new piece this evening." I thanked him and left him to his business.

Miklos was fully in the know about all things vampire. He has been in Kallistos company for most of his life. I've only heard bits and pieces of his story, which is surprising as Kallistos is known for his storytelling. But from what I gather it's quite a harrowing story and out of respect Kallistos refrains from speaking about such.

Reaching back to my quarters, I found my package waiting on my bed. In it were four new dresses I ordered, as well as a lovely tailored suit for Nikos. His family did not have much and he often felt out of place at our gatherings due to his less than impressive attire. I requested that it be ironed and presented to him as soon as he returned.

Satisfied that everything was in order for this evening, I removed my journal from beneath pillow and made my way over to the chaise, relaxing into it. The heavy drapes pulled shut to block out the sun, but I could feel the gentle cool sea breeze. It was the perfect opportunity to catch up on some writing.

Somehow I managed to fall asleep there on the chaise, when I woke it was well past sunset. Drawing back the drapes, I welcome the night; tonight the sky was clear, the moon and stars shone brightly. In the distant just outside the walls I could hear voices speaking in a hurried tone, it was difficult to make out who it was or what they were discussing, but they got my attention as it is wasn't usual for passers-by to come this way. Surmising it must simply be couple workers discussing their tasks for this evening, I went to ready myself for this evening.

By ten o'clock the celebration was in full-swing. Kallistos was currently retelling the story behind this party, in the background there were musicians playing a merry tune. The table in the corner of the room was filled with a range of decadent foods, and the flow of wine seemed endless. Yet, I stood in the corner of the room, watching the door. Ordinarily I would engage in the festivities, it was easy enough to do with Nikos by my side as I found him far better company than the other guests.

The problem was Nikos was not here.

I did not want to raise any alarm but it was unlike him not to show up and if for any reason he could not attend, it was more unlikely that he would not send word of his absence.

"For the better part of my evening I have been searching for an ice-breaker." I turned to face the speaker, I searched for his name but I kept drawing blanks. I hadn't bothered to learn their names, however I found myself referring to them by their personalities if they ever came up in conversation. This one in particular I referred to as the mild-mannered one. The only fact I was sure of was that he was a Doctor.

"Please." He offered me a fresh goblet of wine.

"Thank you." I accepted the drink bringing it closer to my lips I could smell the blood. Over the rim of the goblet I caught the Doctor's gaze with my own.

"I-I recognised that you are with your companion this evening." His sheepish response told me he was either embarrassed that he was not able to engage me in conversation or that he just inadvertently confessed he'd been watching me all evening.

"Thank you." I chose not to respond to his observation as my mind was already plagued with the million reasons as to why Nikos was not here but the one that stood out most of all I dared not speak.

Side by side, we stood there awkwardly watching the party. Sensing his rising discomfort I chose help his efforts of conversation.

"How long have you practiced medicine Doctor?"

"Julian please, after all the frivolities we have partaken in, I think formalities can be left alone."

"Very well, you may call me Rebekah."

"It is a pleasure to properly make you acquaintance Miss Rebekah." Though his English was very good but it was difficult to hide his French origins. Personally I have never gotten on well with the French but seeing as he is here in Kallistos home, I have some faith he is not cut from the same snobbish cloth as his other countrymen I have come across.

"But to answer your question, I have only dabbled in medicine. In actuality I am a physicist."

"Oh I see. I suppose that does nothing alleviate any comfort I had with having a doctor close by." My joke was met with a hearty chortle from Dr Julian.

"I've heard about your particular brand of humour Miss Rebekah, I must say you do not disappoint."

The Doctor was about to continue speaking, or perhaps he was still talking I hadn't care to notice as a flurry of movement just outside the door. My overwhelming need to investigate was cut short when one of the servants came rushing into the room; the servant did he best to slow his movements enough to not alarm anyone but as I was paying close attention I could see the urgency behind each step.

As he approached Kallistos, who was momentarily annoyed at the abrupt interruption, he leant down to whisper his urgent news. Normally, out of respect we would cast our ears elsewhere but I could feel the tiny hairs on my neck, they knew as well as I something was terribly wrong.

Over the noise of the party, the music and the Doctor by side who was still talking, I carefully listened as the servant spoke, the words 'dead' and 'vampire' were clear but when he mentioned Nikos' name, if it were possible I think I would have fainted.

Kallistos' eyes found me as soon as the servant had finished speaking, I could read the pity in his eyes but I sure as hell didn't want it. It took every ounce of my self-control to not scream or reach out kill something or someone, which would more than likely be the mild-mannered Doctor by my side.

This crushing feeling to kill was almost unbearable. Only once before in my life, the years I can recall that is, have I had this feeling; it was a few years into living with Gerard on his estate when he was attacked.

But the fact remains I have never killed anyone, human or vampire.

As I stood there in the room, I regarded each vampire, Kallistos included, I began to analyse and scrutinised which one could be responsible. The servant had same vampire therefore it had to be someone in this room. If there was any other vampire on the island we would have heard, either through rumours or dead bodies. But with no such reports I was left with one conclusion.

Nikos' killer was someone in this room.