Bloody Rampage: Part 6

Time was now a luxury I did not have. After my outburst everyone would be high alert and more importantly Nikos killer would of course try to flee the island. The Stephanovs were already packing their bags.

And on top of that sunrise was only a few hours away, I had to act now.

"Miss Rebekah? Are you hearing me?" Dr Julien's face appeared in front of me.

"Apologies, Dr Julien my focus is elsewhere but thank you for your help. As you know I have much to do and very little time to see to it."

"And that is why I am offering my help. You'll find I can be quite useful when in a bind." As I was about to decline, Timon by guide came through the door.

"Your offer is appreciated Dr Julien but not necessary, Kallistos has provided me with a guide. And I it's best you remain here."

"You mean to say safer?" His searching gaze left me feeling a little raw.

"As I said earlier, no one is above suspicion and I will get to the truth, now if you'll excuse us." Using my hand I gestured to the door. Keeping to proper decorum he bowed his slightly and left my quarters without further protest.

My attention was now fully on Timon, who was holding out a black cloak for me to take.

"Lord Diakos has provided this for you." I allowed him to place the garment over my shoulders. The fabric was quite heavy and thick but it was essential if I were to be venturing outside so close to sunrise; the hood will do a good job in shielding my face from any direct rays. "There is a storm coming." He finished as he fastened the clasp.

He was right, I hadn't notice before but there was a faint smell of rain in the air and clouds could be seen forming in the distance. With any luck this will delay the ship's return to the island and the subsequent departure of the vampires here.

"I have arranged for you to meet the fisherman."

"Fisherman?"

"The man Nikos worked for, it was his boat."

"Was he injured?" His solemn nod told me that the man in question was not the best condition. This bit of news left a bittersweet taste; on one hand the injured fisherman may be motivated to find his attacker and could potentially hold valuable information. But one also has to consider this man and his family who have just been through terrible event and the grief they must currently feel. Do I really want to disturb their peace?

"We must hurry, Miss Griffin." Timon turned out the door with much haste and I followed suit because he was right if I had any hope to get any information a visit was needed sooner rather than later.

Walking through the hallways I could sense the staff actively trying to stay out of my way. Timon didn't appear to be afraid but human instincts always had people on some alert, after all being around vampires they were always in a state of prey versus predator.

Down in the village the streets were empty; the main road scarcely lit and with the dark clouds approaching the island never looked more ominous. The homes we passed were dark and dead silent; all that could be heard was the quiet scuffling of scavengers as they scrounge around for food. Timon turned down a dark alley way, if not for my senses it would be difficult to see. Remembering then that Timon was not quite as fortunate I turned to offer him my arm as guidance. But he was prepared; from his sack he removed a small sconce and lit it.

"I'm pleased to see you are efficient, I have a little more faith in you as my guide now." It was the first time either one of us had spoken since with left the villa. While the silence gave me time to think, making conversation with Timon was not bad idea- as it would help me to have a better sense of what kind of man he was.