Bloody Rampage Part 3

Patience was never my strong suit, but in the seconds it took me to realise that each vampire in this room was a suspect, I also realised that I needed to play this smart. A violent outburst and accusations of murder was not the way to go.

The music died down a bit and Kallistos rose from his bed of cushions.

"I apologise my friends, I have an urgent matter you will have to continue with the festivities without me this evening."

"Oh no, stay Kallis whatever it is, it must can wait." The spoiled princess spoke. Aside from Kallistos she was the only other person I knew, Samantha Picard. We met few years ago in London; she was the epitome of all things to despise about society life in London, a spoilt and nauseating gossipmonger.

"I am afraid this cannot." He apologised once before he called over Miklos, "Miklos will see to it that everyone is well taken care of in my absence. Rebekah," he took a deep breath before he continued, "If you could join me, I could use your counsel on this matter."

"My counsel is at your disposal." I spoke the words but there was nothing behind them, only spoken out of formality. "Excuse me Doctor." I spoke without giving him a second look but I could faintly hear him correct my choice to use his title rather than his name.

Kallistos moved with purpose out of the room with me close behind. We walked in silence through the halls of the house. It was fairly quiet as the most of the staff was off for the night, only a few remained and they were closer to the celebrations. As we approached the doors to his personal quarters they opened, as soon as we were inside, he dismissed the guards holding the doors open informing them we were not to be disturbed.

"If the situation was not so dire I would scold you for eavesdropping." He poured two goblets of wine, offering me one. Any other night I would accept respectfully but tonight I craved more than just blood laced wine.

Tonight I craved to see the street red with Nikos' killer blood.

"I will not let this go Kallistos." I brushed pass his offering and walked onto his balcony. Unconsciously I looked down the hillside, along the path leading up to the gates of the villa, secretly hoping that I would see Nikos walking or perhaps running as he was so late to return to me.

"It's unwise to do anything else my dear Rebekah. We know nothing for sure; there could even be a new vampire on the island." Kallistos tried to reason with me.

"And what a perfect coincidence that would be for you all." I did nothing to hide the malice in my voice.

"You all? Dare I ask are you suspicious of me Rebekah?"

"I am suspicious of all Kallis, of every single vampire on this island." I turned around walking back to where he stood.

"Rebekah..."

"You have been a dear friend to me and it would truly be a great shame to find out that you had any part of this. So I will do you the courtesy of asking, did you have any hand in this?" He was still holding both goblets of wine, taking one I tilted my head back and drained its contents.

"Don't be ridiculous Rebekah. Why would ever kill one of my employees?" He attempted to refill my goblet but I dismissed the gesture.

"I know for a fact that you kill for very little Kallistos. Now answer the question."

"No Rebekah. I did not kill Nikos." Once again he was very careful with his wording. But for now it would have to do. Though I wasn't one hundred per cent convinced that Kallistos knew nothing, for now I needed him as an ally. If my plan was to investigate Nikos' death I needed the freedom and trust to move about the island and despite my feelings I was still a guest here. I had to play by the rules.

"I would never want to believe you could be responsible but it would be foolish of me to not ask." He hadn't said anything but his calculating expression had me slightly on edge.

"You know I will not let this go." I walked back to his balcony, when I got to the edge I looked over my shoulder to where I left him standing. "I will see this through to the end no matter what." I made sure to find and hold his gaze; he needed to know how serious I was.

"And what then Rebekah? Are you planning to kill them? Your actions will have consequences, who is to know what will come of this endeavour of yours. "

"A killer will face justice." I declaimed.

"The culprit isn't who I am concerned for." He eyes almost looked apologetic at least that was the only emotion that I could understand from his expression.

"You do not need to be concerned for me. Killing is practically second nature to vampires; I trust I will take to it like as a duck takes to water. My choice of idiom caused an unexpected clench in my heart as I remember the first time I used it with Nikos and we began to share idioms in our respective languages. During our time together we often spent teaching each other. In the beginning his English was elementary at best and as a result we had to communicate in Greek. Thankfully Kallistos was insistent about my learning his mother tongue. Though overtime Nikos determination to learn caused him to blossom into a conversationalist; at times it was hard to get him to stop.

He was bull-headed and often got under my skin with said stubbornness but there were times it was admirable to witness. But now, I won't have the opportunity to be annoyed again, no teach him pointless idioms.

The sounds for the on-going celebration wafted through the air, the laughter and joy emitted from them all. With every laugh I could feel my blood boiling. Closing my eyes I tried to calm myself as I will soon have to walk back in there as if nothing is amiss. But the anger that pulse through me felt strong, almost as if it had its own power. Almost palpable.

Kallistos came to stand next to me on the balcony, "You are my friend Rebekah I will always be concerned for you." As if somehow knowing my current state he gently placed a hand on my shoulder. The gesture worked well as a distraction, I could feel myself become calmer.

"I will need your help. I need access to the staff, more importantly the locals, perhaps a guide." I began to strategize. I needed to investigate quickly and quietly. Gerard was a master of planning and though he wasn't my Maker, he filled the role of mentor as best he could. Naturally I needed to examine the situation but just as important I had to look at the resources I had at my disposal.

"If this is how you wish to proceed, then I will help. But I urge you to tread lightly."

"Thank you Kallis." I attempted a smile but the half-hearted gesture was received as just that.

"Will you return to the party?"

"Yes. The first few hours are crucial and right now everyone is feeling very spirited, it is the perfect opportunity to gain information without raising suspicions. Can I trust that at least for the rest of the night that all this remain quiet?"

"I'll take of it."

"And the servant that delivered the news, I'll need to talk to him first find out what he knows."

"I will send for him, wait here." He left me standing on his balcony; I listened as his footsteps faded behind me until I heard them stopped.

"Be careful Rebekah as this path will open doors that can never be closed again." He left the room before I could inquire about his cryptic statement.

Thiswas not going to be easy for me, I was too emotionally invested in this and ifI was not careful my impulsive actions or reactions could cost me everything.