The Dark and Hollow Places; Book Two

Sokolav was the leader of the Rose Red Moon pack. He was, but is no longer because he is simply dead. Killed by a monster that I don’t even understand how it came into existence. My world has yet again been flipped upside down and I have been turned inside out.

            The day that was supposed to be the happiest day of my life has turned into a day of complete and utter misery. There was going to be no honeymoon and I didn’t even have a husband. I was not technically married. Still in my wedding dress, I sit on the beach with my knees brought into my chest. The weather turned from sunny to cloudy, but I could still feel the warmer weather that Sokolav said was so rare. I could also smell the rain coming on. It was only matter of time. I wipe my eyes and brush my dress to smooth it down. The fabric was tattered and stained with blood. My hair was a curly mess and there was still blood caked on my forehead. The memory of Sokolav being killed right in front of my eyes was haunting. He died for me and he didn’t have too.

            After hours of hovering over Sokolav’s dead body, I came down to the beach to think. I was not just a member of the pack. I was the alpha now, along with Will. I had no idea if I would be able to rule these people. Sokolav told me that I was a natural born leader, but I still had no idea what I was doing. I start crying all over again and wipe my eyes. Sokolav was gone forever and he knew all the secrets. I didn’t have the heart to tell Will, Owen or anyone else that I knew this would happen. Well—I sort of knew, but at the time I didn’t think it had anything to do with werewolves.

            I finally settle down and eventually numbness takes over my emotions. I get up and dip my feet into the freezing cold water which feels refreshing. I wipe my face one more time and turn to look at the castle. I owned that now—everything on this island and more. It was scary to think that every decision I made affected everyone. I had to protect over sixty people and that was a horrifying thought.

            “Estelle.” I turn and find Will. He was still in his tuxedo and it was also tattered. Our dream wedding was shredded and all was left were memories of Sokolav being murdered.

            “What?” I snap. I don’t mean to sound like that, but I do. I frown and look away from will.

            “We are needed in the library.” He says softly. It pains me to see him so calm after everything that has happened. I needed him to be as sad and angry as I was.

            “Fine then.” I say hiking up the end of my dress. My bare feet squish in the sand as I march past Will. He follows me up the path to the sunroom. I step in and the smells of the plants fill my nose. I take a breath and suddenly feel lightheaded. Will grabs my waist and steadies me.

            “Are you okay?” He says looking at me. I nod and pull away. I head into the library. Ronnie, Colton, Anne, Loraine, Nick, Owen and his Beta are all in the room. Kate is clutching Anne close and she is crying into my mother’s shoulder. Everyone looks defeated and like their soul was taken. I put on a brave face for everyone and take a seat.

            “I know that today’s event has been tragic, but today, something was stolen from us.” Owen says. I eye him and I know that he is talking about the stone. Ronnie and the rest of them however have no idea.

            “For god’s sake Owen. Your father has just died—we do not need to speak about this now.” Anne sobs. Owen shakes his head. This stone must be important. The people in my dream made it seem like the stone was the Holy Grail.

            “They need to know the importance of the stone! It is in the wrong hands!” He tells Anne. I look at my hands to keep from anyone seeing me tear up.