Recon Gone Wrong

It was nightfall when we reached the outer Winter territory. It was snowing and a lot colder than before. One of the Gremlins gave me a blanket. I didn’t ask where they got it from because they probably stole it or something. I was just glad that I had it. Mortain tells us that it is easier to complete or recon mission at night because they didn’t make as many rounds. It was dangerous out here at night and the King didn’t want to sacrifice soldiers. 

            I was tired but we had to get this done. We just couldn’t wait another day. As soon as Will arrived with the others we would plan and make our move. I tell Colin and Adrik the plan. Colin and the Gremlins would travel the outskirts and find some weak points. I was going into the heart of the city with Mortain and Adrik to find ways into the castle and such. Also we needed to ask around about the Prince. We had a plan. I sent Will a message but got no reply. I tried to not get all paranoid about it. I shifted into a wolf and the others followed my move. I nod to Colin and he takes off with the Gremlins on his back. Mortain settled on my back and then Adrik and I were off. We ran through the thick snowy forest. It was different than Seelie territory. Here, it was silent and all I could here was my own paws hitting the ground. Everything was dead and just too quiet.

            We passed a couple of wooden houses with smoke coming out of the chimneys. Mortain urged us on, telling us that it would be troublesome to deal with them. The houses here in Arcadia looked really old-school like medieval times cottages or something like that. Not many creatures were about but the ones that were scurried away from us. Being huge wolves scared them away, but Mortain said that they were just bottom feeders. The more dangerous ones were in the inner Winter Kingdom lands by the castle and the village.

            “In the bushes!” Mortain says loudly. He pulls on my ear with his teeth and forced Adrik and I in the prickly bushes. I growl at Mortain but he hisses. I look through the little branches and spot a group of soldiers walking by. They had metallic armor on and they meant business or at least it looked like it. Adrik brushed his head against mine to get a better look.

            They walked around and spread out. We weren’t safe and I was wondering what the hell they were doing out here. Mortain said these guys wouldn’t be out at night. This sort of ruined our plans to sneak in easily.

            “All clear!” One says. The one who assumed was the leader spoke. He was the tallest and he had this golden badge on the right side of his chest plate.

            “Keep looking. The prince said to look for a group of humans.” The leaders says. I look at Adrik. Garth knew that we were here and we were after him, but he didn’t know the specific location of where we were or that we had all this help from different fey.

            “The prince doesn’t want the girl dead!” That must mean me he is talking about. I am sure Garth wanted me to suffer,  but I wouldn’t let his men get me. I can’t even imagine what he would do to me.  “He’s got something special for her.” He says and they all laugh. I roll my eyes and Adrik nudges my head with his own. He licks my cheek sending me comfort. It helped me restrain myself from killing them.

            “Clear!” Another says.

            “Move out.” The leader says. We stay in the bushes until we can no longer hear their steps in the snow. They were looking for us and they wouldn’t stop until they did. Us being in our wolf form was the safest because there were wolf fey. Animagus was a type of fey that could shift into an animal. It would be stupid of Garth to capture every single Animagus and also it would cause panic for his people.

            “We better go.” Mortain says. I nod. Adrik and I are on the move again. Mortain is keeping a keen eye and ear out for any more soldiers. I was glad that he was here to keep a look out.