Queen Annith

“Wake up wolf.” My eyes open but shut instantly when the sun hits them. It was super bright out and I instantly change back into a human. Mortain hisses and I can feel his claws on my thigh.

            “I was lying there.” Mortain says. I roll my eyes and stand up. It was warmer than yesterday so I take my jacket off and stick it in my pack. Mortain wakes the others by pouncing on them. Colin probably gave the funniest reaction to Mortain. Ronnie was simply amazed that I was telling the truth about the cat. We are pack up and sit in a circle for some breakfast which consisted of canned fruit.

            “That cat is creeping me out.” Ronnie says looking at Mortain who is resting in my arms. I smile and stroke his head. The cat hisses at Ronnie.

            “And you must be the dim of the wolf kind.” Colton smirks and covers his mouth to keep from laughing. She hits his shoulder and Colton kisses her cheek gently. Will gets up and states that we have to get going. I never told the group that Mortain was the only one that knew how to get to the castle. Because of the illusion we would probably never get to it without the cat.

            “Is the cat coming with us?” Colin asks. I nod.

            “He is the only one who knows how to get to the castle.” I say. They look at me with questioning expressions.

            “There is an illusion on outsiders so you will never reach the castle. I am the only one that knows how to get there. The only one willing to help that is.” Mortain explains for me and I am thankful.

            “That is ridiculous.” Ronnie mutters. I shrug my shoulders. She looked extremely agitated since we got to Arcadia. I didn’t understand why though. This place was—different, but I did find it sort of calming when we weren’t getting stomped on by trolls.

            “We are not far.” Mortain promises me. The cat gets comfortable in my arms and for being fat, he doesn’t feel as heavy as he should.

            The entire group walks in silence and I lead the group this time. Will walks beside me and Colin right behind me. I can feel his eyes roaming my body and the cat in my arms. It isn’t long until Mortain tells me to turn right. I felt like we were going in circles because everything was looking the same to me.

            “What kind of Fey are you?” I ask the cat. He was a cat and I have never seen a Fey like him in the history books. The cat sighs and looks behind him at the others that were trailing a good distance behind us.

            “We are all classified. Trolls, goblins, nymphs and much more. A long time ago I was member of the Queens council. I was what you call a Bascal Fey.” He says. Bascal Fey? I think I might have heard that word.

            “Bascal Fey are the most humanistic of Fey. Most royal fey are Bascal.” He notes I nod.

            “Then what happened?” I ask him. He didn’t look at all human to me. He was a cat. Now that I look at him—I could see Mortain as a humanistic type of fey.

            “The queen cast a curse me. I am to remain a feline for all eternity.” He says. That sent up a red flag. Exactly what did Mortain do to deserve that?

            “What did you do?” I ask the cat. He gives me a grin. The same grin that was in my dreams all of last night.

            “Annith has a short temper. She didn’t like a decision I made.” He says as if it was simple. I practically stop breathing. Short temper? I thought Queen Annith was the nicer one?