Here on Earth

I felt a sharp pain in my back and my skin felt—sandy and gritty. I also felt the intense heat and light that threatened to flood my vision if I opened my eyes. I didn’t want to open my eyes. I was exhausted from jumping into the portal. Unlike the last time I jumped through the portal, I cannot remember a thing about being in it. Just jumping in and that was it. I heard a groan and I realized that I was holding someone’s hand. Will’s hand! I sit up which makes my head ache and I open my eyes slightly. Will was lying on his back with his eyes closed. His face was a filthy mess and I was guess mine was as well. 

            “Will.” I call out. He smiles slightly and I kneel over him. I caress his clean shaven face. When did he get the chance to shave? He opens his own eyes slowly but surely. The light was almost unbearable.

            “Don’t tell me we fell from the sky again.” He mutters sitting up with a groan. I stand up and all my joints hurt. I place my hand above my eyes and scan the horizon. Dust, dirt and sand. In the far distance, some vegetation. The desert? Perhaps but I wasn’t sure. It was clear that we were back on earth or at least I think.

            “I’m afraid so.” I say helping Will up. He puts his hands around me and I lean into him. Currently, we were okay and we were together. Our bond was still intact and I just wanted him.

            “Where are we?” I ask. I could smell burning embers in the distance, but there was no sign of any people.

            “Hell maybe.” Will joked. I eyed him seriously. How were supposed to eat or get some water. Will smiles loosely and kisses my cheek. I wince in pain. He fingers my cheek carefully.

            “You’re hurt.” He says. That was when Garth nicked me and it was more than once. Why was I not healing? I noticed that Will wasn’t either.

            “I’m fine.” I whisper. He kisses my lips gently. His are dry and cracked and mine were too but I didn’t care. I loved him filth and all.

            “Wherever we are, its hot so we have to be near the equator, if we are on earth.” Will notes. I nod in agreement. How many different worlds existed? I take off the silver cloak and my jacket and my sweater. I bag the sweater but keep the cloak and jacket. It might get cold at night.           

            “You smell that?” I ask Will. He sniffs and nods. Where there was fire, there was people. I look up into the blue clouded sky. Judging by the point of the sun, it had to be about three in the afternoon.

            “Let’s head toward the fire then.” Will says. I nod and we start walking but I quickly stop. The sword was so heavy. I look at Will and he eyes the sword he has as well.

            “We should keep them, just in case.” I sigh and start moving on again. We walk for a while and come to a road. Will wants to follow it but I suggest that we stay on our fire trail. Who knew when  a car or whatever would pass on the road. This was a rural place and I doubted any cars really drove around in this area.

            “You think we are near the stone?” Will asks as we are taking a break. There was no shade and the heat was beginning to get to me. At least sunset was arriving shortly. I shrug my shoulders.

            “Most likely. I mean not that near but near enough. We jumped in the portal while it was still traveling. We can’t be that far.” I tell Will. He nods and runs a hand through his hair.

            “I don’t think Garth knows where the stone is.” I state. He said this little enchantment to bring the stone back to its origin. He would only do that if he was desperate. I knew for a fact that Sokolav was the only one that knew where the Equinox Stone came from because he is the one that got it and fought for it.