On the Move

It wasn’t the first time I woke up alone. That happened a lot with Will because he was usually the morning type of person. I yawn deeply and stretch out my arms. My joints felt stiff but steady. I got some really good rest and I was warm enough with Will curled up next to me. I find a whole new sari set neatly on the chair. It was red and black with gold. It was beautiful just as the last one I wore. I stuck that one on and wrapped it around myself just as I instructed to. I neatly fold the purple one and set it on the chair next to my cloak.

            I head outside and the heat is intense and the air is a little muggy. I look around and see vegetation. Odd. I had no idea how many miles we traveled yesterday until we reached the village, but it was enough that we were in vegetation now. Trees hung everywhere and noises of many different animals and insects entered my sonic hearing. A few women bow as they pass by carrying a basket filled with clothing. I smile at them and move onward. I had to find Will. I sniffed the air and a sweet pastry smell fills my nostrils. I follow that scent and it eventually leads me to Chanda and her son.

            “Good morning.” She says. I bow my head slightly and put my palms together. I then take a seat next to Kailash.

            “What are you two doing?” I ask her. She smiles and picks up a beautifully crafted pack. It is wonderful and many designs have been painted on it.

            “This is for you. For your things.” She says handing it to me. My eyes widen in surprise. What? Something so beautiful for me? I smile and finger it. The pack was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. The craftsmanship is amazing and the art part of it was really divine.

            “Thank you so much.” I tell her. She nods her head. I look at my hands and see that the henna is still there. Usually it would be fading already but I wasn’t an expert. Chanda notices me looking at my hands.

            “The henna will last for a few weeks.” She says. I nod and smile at her. Kailash hands me a warm pastry. I bite into it hungrily. I feel a hand on my shoulder and I look up to see Will. He was wearing jeans and a black t-shirt. I went all traditional and he was all American. Not fair! I did like these saris but I wanted to wear my own clothes.

            “Hey babe.” He says kissing my cheek. I nod at him and finish my pastry. The village is a lot more quiet during the day than at night. They walked along quietly and a few children ran around the village chasing each other. It was a very laze type of place and I liked it a lot. 

            “So, what is it the Gods sent you here for?” Kailash asks. Chanda smacks his head with a rag and the little boy rolls his eyes.

            “Well Kailash, we are looking for a stone.” I say. Chanda raises a brow and Abhay looks at Will and I.

            “Stone you say?” Will nods quickly.

            “I know of only one stone. It has been missing for centuries.” He says. Will and I look at each other. Sokolav was the one that took the Equinox Stone from its original place all those years ago when he was younger—way younger. 

            “The Pukhraj stone. Beautiful and made by the Gods.” Abhay says. I felt like that was all they really knew. Abhay and Chanda would have said more on the stone if they knew. I was not completely sure if we were talking about the same stone but the shoes seemed to fit. I would have never guessed that my American self would get mixed up in Russian wolves finding an Indian origin based stone.

            “Do you know where we might find more information on this Pukhraj stone?” I ask Abhay. Chanda nods her head quickly and she points north. I raise my brow.