Chapter 14: Jada

Chapter 14: Jada

          The bad news, my name is called, I’m in the game next week. I feel everyone shift from Abi to me and I feel Melissa hold me almost too tightly to breathe. The good news, I’m not alone. Clay, Katya, and Xain will be with me, so I guess I’ll be safe. The announcers continue on naming competitors in the game, but I walk away. I don’t care about anyone else. Why should I?

          It’s only a short time—a few seconds—before I’m followed. It’s Xain who walks up beside me and looks straight ahead as if he doesn’t notice me. I freeze in my tracks and he stops ahead and turns to look at me. His eyes seem to be glinting in the lights as he smiles at me.

          “What? Are you so nervous about me that you can’t even walk without stopping to catch your thoughts?” He nearly laughs.

          I stand there trying to find something to say, but I just smile and continue to walk. We walk side by side for a few seconds, then I think of something.

          “Where are all the others?” I ask, “Did they not want to come?”

          “I wouldn’t say that,” Xain answers, still looking ahead, “When you left, they sent me after you to check and see if you were alright.” He pauses before adding, “We don’t want another accident.”

          I don’t know why, but this actually makes me laugh. Xain is trying not to, but he still smiles.

          “I’m actually glad that it’s you,” I say shyly. Xain looks at me out of the side of his eyes and smiles.

          “Why’s that?” He asks.

          “Because I just met you,” I answer him with a smile, “and we haven’t been alone yet.”

          “There something on your mind?” Xain gives me his full attention now.

          I look at the training area, grab Xain’s hand, and pull him through the doors. “I want your help on my skills, Clay said you could help.”

          “I’ve actually seen you working,” Xain answers with almost little hesitation, “there’s much to do in a week.”

          I’m a little hurt, but he’s right. We get to the archery station and I pick up a small bow and a quiver of arrows. I pick a target that looks like an actual man and aim straight for the heart. I slowly pull the arrow back, take a deep breath, and release it. It nails slightly off target, but is still a kill shot. I look at Xain, who has a bow in his hand. He shoots at the same target, hitting it square in the heart, before turning to me.

          “Set it up again,” he says, “Act as if you’re about to shoot.”

          I do as he says and draw another arrow from my pouch. I aim at another target—mid-section—and pull the arrow back. Xain comes and makes a few adjustments to my form—telling me to raise my elbow, loosen my grip, squares my bow, straightens my arrow—before having me fire again. This time, the arrow hits almost dead in the center. Xain smiles and says I’m ahead of most people he’s helped. I pull another arrow and fire it at another dummy. It hits dead in the forehead, which causes Xain’s smile to turn into a mixture of fear, confusion, and astonishment.

          “You’re a very quick learner,” Xain looks at me, “How long have you been trying the bow?”

          “A little over a year,” I answer, not sure if I should smile or not, “My friend Desi got me started.”