Chapter 26: Jada

Chapter 26: Jada

          So far, I have enjoyed my first capitol experience. More specifically, I’ve enjoyed the banquet so far. Everyone is having a good time, too. Xain has danced with Kandi, Melissa, Izzy, Abi, and Katya, along with a couple of other capitol girls. To be honest, I didn’t expect Melissa to let him. It’s nice to know that she forgives him, maybe she even likes him.

          Seeing as how we have to act like we can stand each other, I even let Clay have a dance with me. He’s more of a bad dancer than I am, but at least it was fun. Katya seems to be the center of every young boy’s attention. Guys are practically lined up to dance with the beautiful feline dressed girl from C-5. She even has “cat” ears on her head. Abi and Izzy attract a lot of attention from guys, too, which doesn’t surprise me at all. They’re easily two of the most beautiful girls in C-5, and here in the ballroom, too. I’m the only one out of the bunch only receiving pity and sympathy from people. I guess it’s because I look so young in my dress.

          I wander through the crowds trying to both avoid other capitol pity and find someone I know. I spot Honey and decide to talk with her, despite my gut feeling.

          “Oh hi,” Honey says with a fake smile, “How are you enjoying the party?”

          “I’ve never been around so many people older than me,” I respond, “it’s a little...strange.”

          Obviously insulted, Honey still holds her fake smile. “Well of course it’s strange for you, no district could ever compare to the Capitol’s honor. You’re just not used to being decent enough to be someone note-worthy.”

          I now join Honey in fake smiling to hide my anger at her statement. “Thanks Honey, I’ve never thought of it that way. If only every district was as decent as the Capitol.”

          As I turn to walk away, I mutter something under my breath. I sincerely hope there are no lip readers here. I look down for stare at Xain dancing with another girl with bright pink hair and laugh a little. She’s pretty, and Xain seems into her. Not paying attention, I bump into someone. I turn to apologize, but then I see who it is: Prosper Odilatu.

          “Hey there, Jada,” Prosper says with a smile on his face, “How are you?”

          I’m nervous, but not because of his looks, but because he’s bigger than I expected. I know I look crazy looking up at him, so I just say, “Hi.”

          “Don’t be nervous,” Prosper says, “I’m just an average citizen of America.”

          “A citizen of the Capitol,” I slip out before I can catch myself, but he just laughs.

          “No, A-2,” he says.

          “I saw your game today,” I say more pleasantly, trying to bounce back and past my previous statement, “it was good.”

          “Thanks,” Prosper says, “I saw yours, I’ve never seen someone with moves like that as a rookie before.”

          “Most people just show pity or sorrow because of my injury,” I smile, “Do you usually watch the arena fights?”

          “No,” Prosper shakes his head, “I they’re kind of sickening to watch. I would rather see some of the capitol citizens fight than the struggling districts.”

          “Like Honey-Comb Kanera,” I sheepishly smile.

          Prosper leans down and whispers in my ear, “Especially her.”