Chapter 33: Xain

Chapter 33: Xain

          This is by far one of the best meals I’ve ever had. It’s definitely the most delicious turkey I’ve tasted. I hope I didn’t look too gluttonous while eating, I’m pretty much starving.

          “So, Xain,” Abi starts and everyone looks up at me, “how did you survive the attack on C-5?”

          I clear my throat before I speak. “I grabbed one of the attackers’ guns and ran to the the weapon storage. After that, I just snuck out the fence.”

          I look at Clay and Katya and remember them being snatched in the air. I then ask, “What happened to you guys?”

          “It was a capitol hovercraft,” Katya starts off very faintly, “They were enroute to take us to Carnage Island.”

          I knew it had something to do with the capitol or Carnage Island. I don’t even have to ask before Abi begins to speak.

          “They kept saying something about new powers and developements,” Abi says, “Someone found out about a rebel plot to sneak us out, so the president gave them permission to raid and reap us for some sort of project.”

          “How’d you escape?” Jada speaks up.

          “We raided the ship and freed them,” Tanzi smiles and gloats, “We took some, and others we sent to other rebel camps.”

          “We chose them because they were the best that we heard about,” Alestra says in explanation. She then hangs her head. “The capitol said that it was a rebel attack on C-5, but none of us believed it. The first thought in my mind was...”

          She drops off as she bites her eyes. Her eyes are also shut as if to hold back tears.

          “She was afraid of losing you before she met you,” Tanzi says in a soft voice, “We all were.”

          There’s a brief silence now at our table. It’s kind of awkward. Everyone is still and not eating and I’m starting to lose my appetite.

          “I just want to say,” the girl next to me starts as she clears her throat, “I had no clue that would happen to you. We were coming to secretly invite you back to the capitol and fake like the ship was shot down.”

          “Yeah,” the other girl next to Jada says, “we had no idea of the attack on C-5.”

          “Okay,” I say as I put my fork on my plate and sternly ask, “Who are you? How do you know me?”

          Both girls are scared now. Half of the table is smiling, and the other half I can’t tell.

          “Xainy, it’s me,” the girl next to me says in a scared voice, “I’m Kandi, don’t you recognize me?”

          “You look extremely different without your full mask of make-up,” I say as I start to smile. She has a nice tan skin tone and her hair no longer has red and white streaks in it, it’s all dark brown. Her eyes are actually light-brown and her lips are a pale pink.

          “So you think I’m ugly,” Kandi frowns and looks down.

          “On the contrary,” I begin with a smile, “you look way cuter without your capitol make-up.”

          The face she gives me kind of scares me. It’s a mixture of a beautiful smile and a seductive glare. I think I take back what I said, maybe I like the girl who wore the mask. At least that one had a crush on me without looking at me seductively.