Chapter 16: Jada

Chapter 16: Jada

          I haven’t been able to sleep since I got into my room. All I can think about is the upcoming game. It’s supposed to be a safe game for rookies, but with Brute being in the arena with us, I don’t know how safe it’ll really be. Brute hates Xain, it’s a promise. He’s guaranteed to come after Xain—all of us to get to him probably—in the arena. Xain knows it. His face was completely plastered with fear—maybe concern—when he heard that Brute was with us. The most disturbing thing, however, were the expressions on Katya and Clay’s faces when Xain told me to stay beside him at all times.

          The way they looked—Katya with her spoon and fierce eyes—was as if they would try and “accidentally” lose track of me and let Brute find me. Clay, who a week earlier was nearly wrapped around me, looked as if he was tired of me. Plus, he didn’t let go of Melissa once until she rose to leave. Has he shifted his attention to the shy, blond medic? Melissa didn’t mind the bit of attention. She even seemed to have blushed a little when he hugged her from behind.

          The next thought that flows through my mind is about Xain. He quickly came after me when I walked away from the selection board after my name was called. Maybe he would have come on his own if the others hadn’t sent him to check on me, but he still followed me. He even trained me and gave me a few tips on how to fight. Then again, he’s helped Clay and Katya before, so I’m not completely special. Lastly, he told me specifically—with two other fighters sitting across from us—to stay with him. He didn’t tell everyone to stay with him at all times and then tell me to especially stay close, he told ME—only ME—to stay with him at all times. I’m sure it’s implied that he wanted everyone close, but still.

          Another puzzling thing is the reason as to why Brute Merrick would even want me. I would think that he wouldn’t even care to pay attention to any rookie fighter. Maybe it’s my status with Xain that’s a “threat” against me.

          I yawn and roll over to sleep hoping that I don’t wake up with a knife—or spoon—to my throat. When I awake, I’m a bit frightened to see Katya sitting in a chair beside my bed twirling a throwing knife.

          “About time you wake up,” she says without even look at me, “I was getting bored of watching you sleep.”

          My mouth is still, but I stare at the knife as it goes around in a circle in Katya’s hands. “I thought you weren’t allowed weapons in dormitory areas.”

          Katya smiles and looks at me. “This is actually meant for you.” She’s pointing the tip at me.

          I quickly jump back in fear and begin to sweat. “How’d you get in here?”

          “Picked the lock,” she responds as if it wasn’t a big deal, “but I’m here to teach you a lesson.”

          My heart is pounding harder now and I think I’m about to cry. I was hoping my death would be years away and with at least one witness in sight, not in my sound proof room where no one could hear me die or scream. I shut my eyes and bury my head into my arms as I anticipate the blow of the knife, but instead, I feel a small thud next to me. I look up to see the knife sitting next to me. I look at Katya confused.

          “The knife is for you,” Katya explains with a smile, “Pick it up.”

          I pick up the small and light blade and turn it around in my hand. It’s silver with a golden center that’s engraved “To a fighter in the making. Love Kat”. I look up and see Katya still staring at me.