Chapter 44: Jada

Chapter 44: Jada

          The floors are shaking as a roar is heard. Out of the hole comes a massive cage. It’s sealed off, but whatever is in it is obviously big and deadly.

          “Have you ever learned the true nature of carnagions,” Satin says over the roar of the cage. “They are deadly with no regards for any life. But now, I have a way of testing something: What if you could program them to destroy one target and stop after that target is dead? In this case, we have ten.”

          Satin presses a button and a monster climbs out. It looks like a man morphed into a reptile, maybe even a rock. The monster gives a giant roar as it sees us, but stops.

          “Meet the croc,” Satin introduces the monster. “As for you, Xain Austin,” Satin hits a cuff-link and his suit flashes. The light settles and Kain is standing in his place. He no longer has a hood, he’s completely in a black armor. “I guess I should remove my mask finally.”

          Xain was right. It is Derrick under the mask. He has scarring over his face. They look sort of like computer chips on his skin. He is in no way handsome anymore.

          “Now you can die knowing you’ve seen me again.” Derrick hits a button and the croc roars at us.

          We run out of the room as quickly as me can and people look at us alarmed. When they see the croc smashing after us, they panic. Kandi shoots and exploding arrow at the window and detonates openings for us. We hop through and manage to connect rappel wires in the process. We quickly drop safely down as the croc jumps through the window. It slams the ground as we do. Kandi fires another explosive arrow at the croc, but it doesn’t do much damage. It just makes it angrier. We’re doomed.

          “I’m going after Derrick,” Xain announces to us, “I’m sorry, it’s what I must do.”

          “Xain, you can’t,” I say frantically, “not right now.”

          Xain throws his electrified spear at the croc. It sticks through the croc’s thick skin and causes pain. “He’ll be back if I don’t end it now.”

          The croc rips the spear from its hide and tosses it at us, but Xain catches it and shortens it. He wipes a tear from my eye that I don’t realize is even there and hugs me.

          “Be strong, Jada,” he tells me. “Be strong for me.”

          The others have started to fight the monster croc without us. I see Kandi firing all kinds of arrows that either don’t stick or cause little pain.

          “We’ve got this, Xain!” Abi yells back at Xain, “Take care of Derrick!”

          Izzy comes up behind me and grabs Xain’s shoulder before he leaves. “I’m coming with you.”

          “Iz, you can’t…”

          “I’m not losing a brother to a battle that’s mine too,” Izzy cuts off Xain. Xain just smiles and fires a rappel gun at the open window. Within a second, he and Izzy are inside the building.

          “Farewell, Xain,” I whisper as I turn to the croc.

          I take out my sais and throw them at it. They stick for a moment and the croc roars at me. I then take out my sword and cut at its arm and chest as it moves towards me. They penetrate, but not enough. The croc smashes the ground and causes me to fly back some. I roll out of the way to dodge the second attack and see Kandi fire an arrow that forms ice around the croc.