Chapter 35: Xain

Chapter 35: Xain

            So that’s what he meant by We may be seeing you soon. He’s a rebel? Is Prosper? Maybe Honey?

            Wait. Where IS Honey Kanera? Is she covering for Kandi and Shugari—Sugar, I guess I should call her.

            “He sent Kandi and Sugar to ‘spy’ on us while he and Honey try and work out cover for themselves,” Alestra breaks the silence. “Kandi and Sugar are our ‘prisoners’ for now. Apparently, a rebel group kidnapped them as leverage or revenge for C-5.”

            “When are they supposed to come by?” I ask, “I assume that we can’t talk due to radio silence, so do we know when they’re supposed to make it?”

            “And what about Prosper?” Jada says. I take my arm from around her neck, but she still maintains her hold on my arm. “Is he part of this?”

            “He is alongside Jason in it,” Tanzi answers Jada’s question. “Both are going to stay part of the capitol people so as not to draw any suspicion.”

            “Sounds like a good plan,” I say as I begin to walk, “I’m going to freshen up before lunch, so can I have my arm now, Jada?”

            “Oh, I’m sorry,” Jada blushes through her swarthy skin.

            “It’s okay,” I smile as I walk off. What’s gotten into her? She’s been acting strange lately. It’s almost like she’s in love with me, which I see as unlikely. She’s like a sister to me.

            After I get out of the shower, I get a knock on my door I quickly throw on a white shirt and jean pants and open the door. To my surprise, it’s actually Jada. She must have taken a shower herself. Her hair is pulled back in a damp, frizzy ponytail and she’s in a pink and black shirt with matching pants.

            “Hi,” Jada smiles nervously.

            “Um, hi,” I say with a mixture of confusion and nervousness.

            “So,” Jada takes her eyes off of me and drops them to the ground as she bites her lip, “do you mind if I come in?”

            “No, not at all,” I say as I stand back and allow her in. “Is something wrong?”

            “No,” Jada says as she sits on my bed, “I just wanted to talk to you.”

            “Okay,” I say as I pull up a chair to sit. “What’s on your mind, Willow?”

            Jada draws a deep breath as she lies back on my bed and closes her eyes. I prepare myself for the worst. An accidental radio message. A broken weapon. An unwanted favor.

            “Xain, I think I may be falling in love with you.”

            I did not see that coming. I mean, she has been acting a bit strange around me and blushing, but I have met very few girls that I couldn’t make blush. I search for something to say, but all that comes out is “What makes you say that?”

            “Everytime I’m around you, I just get this warm feeling through my body,” Jada starts, “it’s as if the butterflies in my stomach are released and I feel free.”

            I’m silent for about ten seconds before I respond. “Sounds to me like you just have a crush on me.”

            “I guess,” Jada sits up but still doesn’t look at me, “but it’s different from the one I had on Derrick.”