Chapter 27 Xain

Chapter 27 Xain

            There are explosions and screaming outside. The only thing I can think of is that we’re being attacked, so I quickly throw on my combat training suit and run for my weapons cache. Only thing is that it’s all the way on the other side of the camp in the combat storage. The good thing is that it’s close to my favorite spot, but what good would that do?

            I think to check on Jada before I leave, but she’s not in her room. Neither are Melissa or Katya. I try not to panic as I run down the stairs and towards the storage. As soon as I get through the doors to the outside, I freeze. There are hovercrafts firing on structures and soldiers shooting or fighting other warriors. After one spots me, I quickly run. I’m just in time to dodge the bullets. I come across another and quickly jump and kick him in the chest. I grab his gun and fire at another soldier, hitting squarely in the heart. He must be dead before he hits the ground, because he doesn’t even cry out.

            Great, I think, now I have something to use as protection.

            I keep moving forward and shooting soldiers when necessary. It’s just a couple hundred yards left when It: Vice is throwing and biting the soldiers. There are dead bodies all around her, two of which are muscular men that I know aren’t soldiers. She looks at me with a mixture of fear and fierceness as she runs off. I decide to keep moving and reach the storage in five minutes’ time.

            There are so many lockers here, and I’m not sure how they’re organized or assigned. By name? Age? ID number? Probably number. I run over to a control room which, strangely, is unoccupied. There’s a computer. One look at it and I can tell that it’s a database computer. I set down the gun and type my name and ID in, and the computer scans for my locker. It finally pops up:

Xain Austin

ID: 5-504

Locker #: 5929

            There’s one last command underneith that says “Transport Options” I click it and it brings up a map of the entire camp. I have it sent to the contol center so that I don’t have to leave.

            It arrives thirty seconds laters in a claw, but everything is as it is when I left my cache. I take my basic armor out and apply it to my chest, legs, and arms, grab my gloves and boots, and my basic light load: double swords, shadow spear, bow and arrows, a small backpack with whatever supplies I left in or that was put in, and a couple of knives. I send my locker back and bolt back outside.

            The scene has gotten even more horrifying. There are bodies of soldiers, warriors, and guards strewn and bloodied on the grass. I try and figure my next move, but then I see Katya and Clay fighting off a pack of soldiers. I begin to run and scream for them, but once I get within fifty yards and they see me, a claw comes down from a hovercraft and pulls them away. One comes for me, but I dodge it and run.

            I slip right as I come to my favorite spot and nearly run into the fense. Lying an inch away, I notice that it’s not humming anymore. I grab an arrow and toss it, but it just bounces off the wire without a spark or flash of electricity. I touch it with my hand and realize the electricity is off. I quickly roll between the wires of the fence and into the woods. I give C-5 one final look before running into the black woods.

            It’s still a little dark, but I can still make my way through the forrest. I guess being in the arenas helped me with something. I keep running and don’t stop. It might be a mile or two right now, but I can’t tell, everything seems so blurry and scattered right now.