Chapter 6

The road, muddy and full of holes, had been empty, except for a few human souls running for cover. A snow storm was about to hit the town in full force. My senses were on high alert, and not because of the weather worsening. The witches city was closer and I was sure they were following me for some time now. Since I arrived on their land the air changed and the fog got denser as I advanced. Charles and his ideas were just as strange as when he was a child, thinking only of pace and seeing the good in everyone especially in his enemies, the witches were more dangerous than Cole and his men. Their power was more than meets the eye and crossing them would mean complete destruction.

The snow storm got worse as I advanced, even in my wolf form I saw just one meter in front of me and it was surely the witches doing, snow storms are never this powerful, not on their own. I crossed the border to the next town when the people who were fallowing me came forth. The three witches were covered in black robes with silver linings, they were the guardians in charge of their land borders. From memory I knew they were the first line of defense, powerful witches with no emotion what so ever.

'State your business wolf.' The voice of the witch was shallow, as though it came from the other realm. I knew this kind of voice, it had been a while since I encountered a witch.

'You know why I am here, you had been following me since I set foot on the continent.'

'State your business. You are trespassing on our sacred land wolf.'

'I am here to see your priestess as per the orders my king gave me upon their past talks.'

'LIAR...there is no way our priestess would allow a wolf in our sacred land.' The witch from the left had boomed. They were not told of my arrival, fighting them now would off meant an act of war with the witches, we could not afford another enemy now. Damn it, Charles and his brilliant ideas, I should have refused this quest from the start. They were about to attack when a portal opened between us and another witch, this time dressed in gold and purple came through stopping the three egger to kill witches.

'You three, what do you think you are doing? I ordered you to wait for me before engaging with the wolf.'

'We know about that, but the wolf is lying.'

'Mace, had you not been informed about the arrival of an important guest?'

'We did mistress, but what does that have to do with this wolf trespassing?'

'He IS the guest.'

'Well, if we got that out of the way, shall we go? I presume you are here to take me through that portal of yours.'

'Yes, indeed. I am sorry for the inappropriate behavior of my guard. If you would be so kind as to step forward, the portal won't be open for much longer.'

Going through the portal I tried contacting one of my men to see if they had any news about the meeting between our king and the huntress. I had no luck, it was as if our link was missing here in the portal which was true, as the portals are a shortcut through the realms and nothing exists here.

As quickly as we entered we were soon in the grand room of their coven. There were a lot of witches and warlocks present, as if they gathered for some grand ball or important event. The priestess was on her throne joined by her daughters and sons. She was the only one without a scowl on her face, but I understood why the others had one, all too well. The ceiling of the room was made of glass, letting the sun come through and brighten the chamber they were in. The carvings on the walls, were similar with ours canvases, representing war and peaceful times. What caught my eye though was the painting behind the throne.